SmithGroupJJR is an international idea-oriented design firm that is committed to creating inspiring places that enrich the human spirit. We believe extraordinary environments are created when the design process is based on the principles of exploration, experimentation, innovation, sustainability, research, and collaboration. Our expertise in providing thoughtful and innovative solutions keeps SmithGroupJJR at the forefront of architectural, engineering and planning firms around the world. According to the 2016 Building Design + Construction magazine “Giants” ranking, SmithGroupJJR is the 6th largest architecture/engineering firm in the U.S.
SmithGroupJJR is looking for a Science and Technology Studio Leader for our Washington, D.C. office. The Studios are an integral part of our National Practices, which offer local, national and international projects of all sizes including opportunities for collaboration with our other offices. We are seeking a talented individual who is looking for a leadership opportunity to build a practice. He/she is committed to design excellence, business development, thrives in an environment of collaboration and demonstrates a high degree of creativity and entrepreneurial independence.
STUDIO LEADER ROLE
The primary purpose is leadership of the collective development and success of the Washington, DC Science + Technology (S+T) Studio. The Studio is an integrated team of architectural and engineering professionals that compete and operate at the highest levels of our professions.
The Studio Leader sets the general direction and strategy for Studio activities such as business development, target clients, client relationships, and advocacy for design excellence. In addition, he/she will assist in building laboratory planning and design specific expertise as the studio grows. As a whole, these items create a culture for the studio that shapes it as a high-achieving, very market-competitive, and sustainable enterprise.
Working with us, you will:
- Clearly demonstrate the ability to consistently win work and assist teams in profitably delivering design excellence and client satisfaction.
- Consistently exhibit and demonstrate a commitment to SmithGroupJJR core values – Collaboration, Creativity, Community, Integrity and the Environment.
- Provide leadership and management necessary for the development and growth of the studio consistent with SmithGroupJJR’s strategic themes of: growing the firm, building expertise and designing holistically.
- Clearly demonstrate a high degree of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management skills.
- Develop and implements strategic objectives in concert with the corporate practice balanced score card and the office objectives.
- Be responsible for making sure the corporate practice and studio objectives are met.
- Work with the Office Director and the Director of Operations to ensure that marketing & sales budgets, revenue and project performance targets are achieved and that studio issues are resolved.
- Work closely with Business Development, Marketing and other SGJJR offices to effectively market our services.
- Be an active member of the Washington, D.C. Compensation and Management Committees.
- Be an active member of the biweekly Marketing Meetings.
- Provide leadership on key projects as the Principal-in-Charge and as designer, programmer, planner or building type expert
- Make authoritative decisions and recommendations in concert with the Office and Corporate Practice Leadership on the Studio’s primary activities, strategic objectives, guidelines, quality, standards and principles.
- Lead/coordinate communication efforts within assigned studio and between other studio leaders.
- Provide input on staff including recommendations on recruiting, disciplining and dismissal of staff; salary and bonus recommendations; principal and associate nominations and year end and/or other distributions.
- Participation in national practice forums, and presentations at regional and national conferences.
- Actively involved in community activities that support the goals and objectives of SmithGroupJJR.
An ideal candidate has:
- At least 15 years related experience preferred and/or training (or equivalent combination of education and experience) in the AE Industry.
- Demonstrates effectiveness in working in a team setting, communicating with others, customer satisfaction and technical competence.
- Strong leadership abilities in the areas of business development, professional and civic involvement.
- Successful track record of winning work in Science teaching and R&D facilities for University Clients – Top 100 R&D funded Universities
- Successful track record of winning work in at least one of the following:
- R&D facilities for Government Clients – DOE, EPA, NIH, DoD, NASA, NIST, USDA, etc.
- R&D facilities for Corporate Clients – Pharma, Biological, Automotive, Agriculture
- R&D facilities for Independent organizations - Battelle, NSF International
- R&D facilities for International Clients
- Registration as a licensed architect.
- Certification as a LEED- AP/GA and/or commitment to achieve certification within 6 months of accepting the position.
- At least independent working capability in the Adobe Suite of graphics and production programs, as well as Microsoft Office Suite of Programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook proficiency.
- Ability to travel as necessary to achieve Corporate Practice, Office and Studio goals.
- The S+T Studio produces high-quality designs consistently and receives design awards for a variety of project types.
- The Studio supports the National Practice with active members who make tangible contributions to the goals of the Practice in thought leadership, design, innovation, marketing, business development, and research in coordination with the Practice Leader.
- The S+T Studio sets and meets or exceeds annual net revenue budget and studio profitability targets.
- The S+T Studio is perceived to have a supportive, creative, and collaborative internal culture with open lines of communication and a transparent leadership operation.
- The Studio has numerous members actively engaged in outside activities in their professional, social, or cultural communities.
- Client Satisfaction Surveys are positive.
- Key clients are retained and are happy with SmithGroupJJR and their project teams.
- The marketing win/loss ratios are high.
- Marketing budgets are not exceeded while achieving corporate practice and studio goals for winning the type of work that results in holistic design, that grows the firm and that builds S&T expertise.
- A deep bench for staffing capability is maintained and there is a steady roll of upwardly-mobile staff eligible for promotion.
SmithGroupJJR offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package, including 401(k) and continuing educational reimbursement. We offer 3 weeks of paid time off within the first year of employment, with the option of purchasing additional time off, and pay for 8 federal holidays. We also offer an alternative work schedule that provides employees with an additional 15 days off per year (usually Fridays) to help with work/life balance.
Interested in joining us? Get started today by clicking the link below!