Chemical Hygiene and Safety Officer - 82954
Organization: EH-Environ, Health, & Safety
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Berkeley Lab’s Environment, Health, & Safety Division (EHS, http://www2.lbl.gov/ehs/) has an immediate opening for a Chemical Hygiene and Safety Officer responsible for providing leadership for customer service?oriented, technical safety and industrial hygiene consultation.
• Responsible for the planning and management of the Chemical Hygiene and Safety Program (CHSP).
• Serve as Subject Matter Expert for matters of the CHSP and as overall institutional “Owner” of the ES&H manual chapter that addresses chemical hygiene and safety.
• Maintain the web-based CHSP to meet the requirements of the Fed OSHA Laboratory and Hazard Communication Standards for Lab employees and contractors who use hazardous chemicals.
• Collaborate with Research Support Team staff delegated to provide support to key CHSP program elements.
• Provide technical direction and consultation on implementation of program specific elements (e.g., hazard communication, laboratory safety, establishment of controls, etc.).
• Work with EHS Training and Division Liaisons to assist division customers in satisfying training requirements (classroom, web, etc.).
• Develop and administer the CHSP Self-Assessment plan.
• Serve as the primary consultant and liaison between the EHS Division and assigned divisions in accordance with the ES&H Manual.
• Direct or coordinate Work Planning and Control activity in support of the assigned divisions.
• Manage and lead EHS multi-disciplinary teams in support of the assigned customer divisions’ Integrated Safety Management (ISM) Program/Plans, safety inspections, and self-assessments, and assists in accident investigations.
• Provide consultation to customer division management for mitigating safety issues/concerns, assuring compliance with safety regulations, and developing unique solutions to highly complex problems.
• Conduct research and develop solutions to ensure the highest level of safety performance and compliance reasonably achievable.
• Provide leadership, consultation, and advanced technical guidance on a variety of complex safety related issues to the affiliate ES&H Coordinator, safety committee, scientists, researchers, building manager, engineers, maintenance, health and safety representative and customer division personnel.
• Serve as the designated point of contact for assigned divisions regarding consultation and/or resolution of technical health and safety issues.
• Develop and implement exposure assessment plans for assigned customer divisions or facility personnel, including entry into system.
• Conduct laboratory and other technical area evaluations in support of other health and safety programs.
• Provide consultation and technical guidance on a variety of health and safety related issues to Division Safety Coordinators, safety committees, scientists, researchers, building managers, engineers, maintenance staff, and division personnel.
• Serve as the primary consultant on medium to large projects that affect the Berkeley Lab’s long-term goals and objectives.
• Participate in HazMat emergencies in coordination with LBNL Protective Services, Hazardous Materials Planning technical lead(s), and other stakeholders.
• Contribute to the completion and submission of the DOE-required Performance Indicators.
• Serve as a spokesperson on specialized projects or programs.
• Represent the Berkeley Lab in interactions with DOE, regulators, peers at other facilities, clients, and management.
• Assist the Facilities Division with safety issues related to lab shut-downs and re-starts.
Additional Desired Responsibilities:
• Provide input in the preparation of operating budgets for H&S Department programs.