EHS Associate II
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
Lexington, MA 02420
The Safety Associate will work in a multifaceted safety and environmental program, provide leadership in chemical safety activities and assist employees, management, and other stakeholders in carrying out effective safety programs and practices for Lincoln Laboratory. The successful candidate will need to prioritize multiple projects to meet Lincoln Laboratory’s desired and timely objectives and collaboratively develop and implement safety instructions, policies, procedures, and programs. The Safety Associate will serve as a technical advisor and subject-matter expert to the EHS Leader in chemical and semiconductor safety, emergency response, and industrial hygiene programs, as well as conduct specialized and relevant training as needed.
The Safety Associate will actively participate in Laboratory-wide implementation of a comprehensive Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System (EHS-MS), which includes EHS training, process hazard assessments, audits/inspections, incident investigations, and emergency preparedness planning. Participate in and/or lead EHS reviews of design plans for facility renovations, new construction and laboratory modifications. Assist researchers in developing SOPs for research experiments involving hazards. Oversee exposure monitoring to ensure compliance with occupational exposure limits and evaluate engineering control effectiveness. Provide expertise and collect surface and bulk samples as needed to ensure the safe decommissioning of laboratories. Conduct literature searches and make recommendations if no acceptable standards are available. Work closely with facilities and design teams on ventilation requirements for laboratories and individual experiments.
- A BS, MS, degree in industrial hygiene, health and safety, engineering, biological science, chemistry, or similar and a minimum of 10 years of directly related experience focused on chemical safety is required.
- A doctorate level degree is preferred.
- The candidate must hold a current Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) certificate.
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to develop and implement well-integrated EHS programs within the workplace are required. Effective written and oral communications skills are essential, as are basic computer and database skills.
- Must have a solid working knowledge of federal and state safety & health regulations and consensus occupational health & safety standards, including but not limited to ANSI Standards, NFPA, and OSHA regulations. Expertise in research laboratory and semiconductor safety is highly desirable.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a government security clearance is required.
Apply online: http://bit.ly/2e4mXBh
MIT Lincoln Laboratory is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, or genetic information.
U.S. citizenship is required.