Environmental Safety Technical Leader
As global demand for food and fuel continues to rise, we are dedicated to our purpose: Bringing plant potential to life. Syngenta is one of the world’s leading companies with more than 28,000 employees in over 90 countries. We work in a collaborative and inspiring culture where personal contribution is rewarded and growth and development are at the heart of our culture. Through our world-class science, global reach and commitment to working with our customers, we help to increase crop productivity, protect the environment and improve health and quality of life.
There’s never been a more important time to join Syngenta.
For more information about us please visit www.syngenta.com
To provide leadership, expertise and advice in a broad area of Environmental Fate within North America Environmental Safety and to the wider business on product related issues. To lead a group of experts in study generation, issue management and/or environmental exposure/risk assessment. To be a lead advocate at the internal and external interface for the business. To develop new science and novel approaches to problem solving in this critical area for Syngenta.
- To lead a significant technical Group within Environmental Safety responsible for the associated people and external contract budget. Ensure that high quality staff are recruited, developed and motivated to ensure the availability of appropriate skills to meet the needs of the business and to realise each individual’s potential. To serve as a leadership role model and encourage scientific excellence and professional integrity in all members of the section.
- To match the deployment of resources to prioritised business requirements and indicate resource issues and options to facilitate the development of integrated resource plans and outputs of scientific and technical excellence.
- With the North America platform lead for Environmental Safety develop an integrated technical strategy for the specific area and capability using both internal and external resources to deliver high level study data, risk assessment and advocacy for all stages of product life cycles.
- As a leading and recognized specialist in the field, develops the science in their area, develops links with other parts of the Company and the industry and introduces new science to the department. Helps to recruit, train and develop team members.
- Debates and agrees with internal experts, recommends the appropriate strategies for use in work programs. Is empowered to commit Product Safety to programs of work. Reviews the work/reports of team members and makes recommendations for further work, taking into account regulatory and technical implications
- Represents the Company in discussions with external agencies and other groups to negotiate issues or the acceptability of results and procedures for compounds under review.
- A senior advisor to other Environmental Safety technical experts over the design of new or unfamiliar studies and may have lead responsibility for complex studies or programs of studies
- May lead significant projects/portfolios for ES and in some cases across Product Safety.
- Plays a proactive role in the management of key technical issues and assisting in the definition of future technical strategy for Product Safety.
- Ph.D is preferred (Soil Science, Agricultural Engineering, Environmental Chemistry, Hydrogeology, Environmental Sciences and related fields).
- Minimum 5 years of experience and demonstrated proficiency in environmental fate and transport and/or environmental exposure/risk assessment related to pesticides and/or other chemicals and/or relevant or connected fields.
- Experience of significant project/program leadership in an appropriate area of Science.
- Experience in making and justifying interpretations of complex data bases for chemicals and across groups of related chemicals.
- Experience of advocating technically robust positions within the Company and externally.
- Experience in agricultural or environmental sciences (surface water/ground water hydrology, hydrogeology, soil science, environmental or agricultural engineering, environmental chemistry, etc.). Strong background in environmental fate and transport processes (especially in soil and water).
- Proficiency in interpretation of field and laboratory studies focused on chemical fate and transport
- Knowledge and/or experience in the following areas is considered a plus: Environmental/regulatory modelling and GIS applications and extensions, statistical procedures used in environmental sciences, and interactions with regulatory authorities
- A high degree of technical knowledge in Agricultural or Environmental Sciences.
- Project leadership experience
- Ability to build networks
- Creative problem solving/interpretation skills
- Advocacy and influencing skills
- Capable of high level technical judgment