- Senior Research Scientist
- AdvanSix, previously Honeywell
- Colonial Heights, VA
- Mar 18, 2017
Senior Research Scientist
Senior Research Scientist
Colonial Heights, Virginia
Are you searching for a rewarding career with a great team of talented people who are leaders in their fields – from research, engineering and agronomy to information technology, supply chain and marketing? Do you believe in driving results in friendly environment that is open to creative ideas and diverse perspectives?
If so, you've come to the right place: AdvanSix, a company that is built on a rich history of teamwork, innovation and customer focus, and that has a fun, entrepreneurial mindset. We are:
A leading manufacturer of nylon 6 resins and films, which are used to make products important to everyday life – from automotive parts, carpeting, and food packaging to wire and cable, building materials and sports apparel
Fully integrated into many important building blocks of chemistry, including caprolactam, ammonium sulfate fertilizer, and many other chemical intermediates used to make products that make our world go round
Respected by customers far and wide as trusted partner that can be counted on for quality products, sustainable solutions and reliable supply.
A career at AdvanSix means opportunity and possibility for people who seek variety, responsibility and hands-on experience in a friendly, dynamic workplace.
The candidate will investigate solvent formulation/application development for our existing products, and generate new ideas for derivative molecules based on our current product portfolio and business strategy. Should also be able to aid in the synthesis of new molecules from bench to pilot plant scale. As a key member of a multi-functional R&D team, the candidate will provide chemistry leadership in developing and testing new solvents/molecules based on our current products and their potential application spaces
- Be able to leverage modern analytical methods (IC, UV-vis, HPLC,GC, GC/MS) to understand R&C processes and develop new products and applications for our products and their derivatives.
- Application know-how and expertize/development skill in “additives” for the Coatings/Adhesives/Cleaning industry
- Proven success in commercialization through Application Development is a plus.
- Support Product development efforts with Application expertise in product design and faster commercialization
- Utilize a strong chemistry background combined with statistical design/modeling tools to ensure effective experimentation and analysis.
- Collaborate with Engineering team to take new processes/products from the laboratory to production, ensuring consistent manufacturing performance.
- Collaborate with the commercial group to understand market needs for new products and and target markets/applications, and conceive of and develop new molecules based on our existing product portfolio to meet those needs.
- Maintain a safe lab
- MSc organic or physical organic chemistry with 5 – 10 years experience
- Ph.D in organic or physical organic chemistry 0 – 5 years experience – highly preferred
- Ph.D Chemical Engineer with 5-10 years extensive experience in Organic and Analytical chemistry
- 5 or more years of developing and testing new chemical products and finding applications for them preferred, experience optimizing and commercializing chemical processes a plus.
- Demonstrated success in developing innovative technologies and experiments
- Knowledge of solvents use in application spaces such as coatings, agriculture, and dispersants/coalescesers
- Technical competence - organic chemistry, physical organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, statistical, and computer skills
- Excellent English communication and presentation skills and Teamwork capabilities.
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification is a plus
- Bias for action and results oriented mindset
- Ability to work both independently, and in team environments
- Creative, innovative thinker
- Frequently shows ability to generate new technology and ideas.
- Develops projects that will impact profitability of AdvanSix business
- Has invented, developed and commercialized new products and improvements in a technology.
- Provides process expertise and operating knowledge to solve customer problems and support sales.
- Demonstrated leadership of smaller projects or components of larger projects
AdvanSix is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, religion, or veteran status.