Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Director, Instrumentation Facility
The MIT Department of Chemistry seeks a director to assume supervisory responsibility for ensuring the smooth day-to-day operation of its Instrumentation Facility (DCIF). The director’s responsibilities will include the management of staff and operation of the instruments; instrument acquisition and upgrades, including proposal preparation; instrument repair and maintenance; teaching and training student and postdoctoral operators; implementing current instrumental research techniques in response to faculty needs; the systematic evaluation and enhancement of DCIF operations, protocols, and resources; and the operating budget and staff development for the facility.
Characteristic duties include:
- Overseeing operations and maintenance repair of the NMR, mass spectrometer, EPR, and peripheral instrumentation used routinely by students, postdocs, and faculty in the DCIF.
- Assessing facility needs, planning, organizing, coordinating, and writing major instrumentation proposals.
- Overseeing instrument acquisition and upgrades.
- Writing specifications and reviewing bids for major new equipment purchases.
- Directing the implementation of current instrumental research techniques in response to faculty needs.
- Performing trainings in EPR, low temperature EPR, Varian 500/501/502, Varian 300 NMR, variable temperature NMR, reaction monitoring NMR Varian, and others as necessary.
- Responding to requests for technical assistance from facility users.
- Maintaining an accurate DCIF user database.
- Performing maintenance on the reservation host and other duties as directed.
- May also assist with teaching courses in NMR spectroscopy and supporting undergraduate teaching laboratory NMR activities.
- Ph.D. in chemistry or related field
- Extensive experience in modern multidimensional NMR spectroscopy
- Knowledge of EPR spectroscopy
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to interact with students and faculty with diverse needs and interests
- Supervisory/management experience is strongly preferred
In order to be considered, please apply via the MIT website (referencing job #14495) at http://careers.mit.edu/
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
More search results
Senior Scientist Position (Synthetic Organic Chem…
Clear Scientific, LLC.
Project Leader (Senior Medicinal Chemist)
Global Health Drug Discovery Institute
Western Hemisphere Regulatory Specialist
Custom Organic Synthesis / Peptide Chemist
Professor and Director, Center for Renewable Carb…
University of Tennessee