Bioanalytical Associate Staff Scientist, Analytical Chemistry
At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Bioanalytical Chemist within our Analytical Chemistry group to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The Associate Staff Scientist - Bioanalytical chemist will provide technical expertise, and hands-on bioanalytical method development and validation within the Analytical Chemistry laboratory in support of all of SGI’s business units’ needs. The successful candidate will have a strong background in bioanalytical chemistry with emphasis on protein mass spectrometry, and will be abreast of modern protein mass spectrometry tools and techniques. He or she will be responsible for designing and conducting laboratory experiments, interpreting complex datasets, reporting results to supervisors, and for supporting cross-functional collaborations across diverse research programs.
• The Bioanalytical Associate Staff Scientist will develop and implement mass spec based analytical methods for full protein characterization including post-translational modifications.
• Expert knowledge in sample preparation for protein mass spec, mass spectrometer operation and data analysis is required.
• Expertise in LC MS/MS, GC/MS, HPLC, GC, IC, CE spectrophotometric and electrophoretic techniques including instrument operation and troubleshooting, data collection and interpretation, statistics, and analytics is also required.
• The candidate should be a hands-on LIMS user, and highly knowledgeable of relevant databases and data analysis software packages.
• The candidate should be experienced with documentation and capable of generating detailed protocols, and standard operating procedures for both complex and routine methods.
• The candidate should be able to work efficiently and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment.
• Strong organizational skills, orientation to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize effectively are required.
• Critical thinking skills, a high degree of self-motivation, flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and resources are necessary.
• The candidate must possess excellent interpersonal skills, have strong oral and written communication abilities and will be expected to contribute significantly to the overall success of scientific program(s), on-going projects, critical patents, grants and scientific publications.
• M.S. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, or other relevant discipline with a minimum of 5 years of hands-on post-degree experience in protein based analytical chemistry, preferably in an industrial setting. Candidates holding B.Sc. degrees and having 8-10 years of relevant experience will be considered.
• Demonstrated state-of-the-art technical capabilities, particularly with protein mass spectrometry
• A strong, diverse knowledge of synthetic biology, biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry and protein chemistry.
• Experience with handling and analysis of complex biological samples
• Experience with modern mass spec based data acquisition and analysis software. Direct experience with Agilent instrumentation and data analysis software is highly desirable.
• Proven ability to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot versatile analytical instrumentation to maintain high standards of performance.
• Experience working with external contractors, such as partner companies or external laboratories involved in chemical analysis.