- Postdoctoral research associate in analytical chemistry
- Michigan State University
- East Lansing, MI, USA
- commensurate with experience and training
- Mar 31, 2017
Postdoctoral research associate in analytical chemistry
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Analyses of Biological Molecules in Fish and Environmental Water
Michigan State University
We seek an Analytical/Natural Product Chemist to develop assays to profile and measure biological molecules in environmental water and animal tissues. The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary research team (Laboratory of Dr. Weiming Li) that studies many aspects of lamprey and fish biology at the Michigan State University. The successful candidate will develop assays for profile pheromones and identified their precursors and metabolites from source tissues, determine their excretion mechanisms and quantify these compounds in the stream water. The incumbent chemist will also collaborate with biologists and other chemists to characterize physiological functions of molecules of interest, and interact with federal agencies conducting field studies. The accepted candidate will be expected to work independently, train graduate students and technicians, write proposals and reports to funding agencies, and publish research results in peer review journals. For examples of our previous research, please refer to our laboratory website at https://www.msu.edu/~liweim/. The salary will be commensurate with experience and training. Duration for this position is two years, with possibility of extension pending on availability of funding. Please e-mail your cover letter, CV, and a contact information of three references as attachments to Dr. Ugo Bussy at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Application for Chemist Position” in the subject line. Applications will be evaluated until the position is filled.
Requirements and desired skills
- A Ph.D. in Analytical chemistry, Natural Product Chemistry or related fields is required.
- Expertise in LC-MS/MS method development and validation for the determination of small molecules and peptides in biological matrix.
- Interest in using expertise in chemistry to solve biological problems.
- Previous experience in identification of biological molecules is highly desired but not required.
- Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting common laboratory equipment.
- Hands-on experience with metabolite profiling (UPLC-QToF) in biological samples is preferred.
- Broad background in analytical chemistry (HPLC-UV; GC-MS; NMR)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with scientific publication record.
- Experience with proposal writing is a plus.