Scientist II, Medicinal Chemistry
Nurix, Inc. is a science-focused and goal-oriented organization that is committed to bringing novel, first-in-class therapies to patients. Nurix is a leader in discovering a new class of drugs that work by modulating the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS). The UPS is a regulatory network that controls protein stabilization and degradation – a function vital to the healthy life of a cell – offering therapeutic opportunities in multiple disease areas. The Nurix scientific team has established an innovative drug discovery platform to identify selective inhibitors or activators of the UPS, enabling the development of new class of drugs that can restore normal cellular homeostasis. . Nurix was founded by internationally-recognized experts in the ubiquitin proteasome field and is funded by leading life science investors, Third Rock Ventures and The Column Group, and recently entered into a multi-year strategic collaboration with Celgene for the discovery and development of next-generation therapies targeting protein homeostasis in oncology, immunology and inflammation, including the rapidly evolving field of immuno-oncology. The company is based in San Francisco, California.
About the Position
We are seeking talented and highly motivated individuals with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry to join our medicinal chemistry group in the pursuit of novel small molecules to treat patients with unmet medical needs. The successful candidate will engage in rational structure based drug discovery enabled by our computational and structural biology group. Specifically, this individual will design and synthesize novel chemical entities optimized for potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics and in vivo efficacy. As members of a dynamic multi-disciplinary project team, this person will collaborate with a broad group of scientists within Nurix and with external collaborators. Additionally, they will contribute effectively to patent, report and scientific publication writing.
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 4+ years pharmaceutical medicinal chemistry industrial experience
- Successful application of structure based drug design leading to advanced leads/ development candidates. Strong working knowledge of protein-ligand interactions, conformational and structural analysis, experienced in partnering closely with computational chemists through appropriate use of computational tools, models and visualization applications.
- Proven track record of innovative project contributions including peer-reviewed publications.
- High level of creativity and productivity with strong synthetic problem solving skills.
- Excellent scientific expertise in organic synthesis, conversant with the current literature.
- Strong knowledge of medicinal chemistry principles with a solid understanding of key ADME, biochemical and pharmacological principles and able to effectively integrate and apply these to the optimization of multiple parameters during lead generation and lead optimization efforts.
- Ability to champion the chemistry efforts into new directions to achieve project milestones.
- Excellent communication skills and able to present the rationale, key data, issues and accomplishments of the chemistry efforts to other members of the department.
Please apply to http://www.nurix-inc.com/careers/ and include a two-page research summary that highlights the above required qualifications.