Assistant Professor, Term-Faculty Position
Department of Chemistry
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
The Department of Chemistry seeks to fill a term-faculty position at the Assistant Professor level beginning on June 1, 2017. This is an annual renewable, 12-month, full-time, non-tenure trackposition. The primary responsibility for this position will be teaching sophomore-level analyticalchemistry lecture courses and laboratories and other lower-division lecture courses. There mayalso be the potential for teaching advanced laboratories in analytical or physical chemistry.Appointees will be expected to excel in their teaching assignments, to spearhead development of these lecture courses and laboratories, to train teaching assistants assigned to these laboratories, to foster the educational mission of the Department of Chemistry (including a focus on writing enriched curriculum), and to participate in Departmental and University governance. Selection will be based on each candidate’s record of previous accomplishments relevant to these responsibilities and potential for outstanding future contributions. Appointees must have completed all requirements for the Ph.D. or equivalent foreign degree in Chemistry or a related field by the date of appointment. Teaching experience as the primary instructor at the postsecondary level in Chemistry or a related field is preferred.
• Teach CHEM 2101 Introductory Analytical Chemistry Lecture (3 credits) in fall semester and summer term.
• Teach CHEM 2111 Introductory Analytical Chemistry Lab (2 cr) in fall semester and summer term.
• Teach CHEM 2121 Process Analytical Chemistry (3 credits, lecture and lab) in spring semester.
• Teach other undergraduate courses, depending on development load.
• Oversee the training and supervise the teaching assistants for the analytical chemistry labs and lectures.
• Develop new experiments and maintain infrastructure for the lower-division analytical chemistry labs and chair the departmental committee overseeing the operation of the analytical chemistry laboratories.
• Write internal and external proposals to obtain funding for improvements of the analytical chemistry labs.
• Coordinate with general and organic lab coordinators to achieve modern and cohesive lowerdivision chemistry lab curriculum.
• Be connected and contribute to the chemistry education community.
• Help with the development of new experiments for CHEM 4111W Modern Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis.
Evaluation of applications will begin March 24, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Candidates should apply online at http://z.umn.edu/termfaculty AND include the following:
• a cover letter
• a curriculum vitae
• a statement of teaching philosophy, including considerations of writing-enriched chemistry curricula
• copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts
• Student evaluations of prior teaching should also be included if available
Candidates should also arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent as attachments to emails to staff member Tanya Becker (email@example.com) or as hard copies to:
Term-Faculty Search Committee
Department of Chemistry, University of Minnesota
207 Pleasant St. S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455-0431
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission.
To learn more: http://diversity.umn.edu.
More search results
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Director, Bioanalytical Laboratories- Large Molec…
Organic Laboratory Coordinator in Chemistry
W.M. Keck Science Department, Claremont McKenna, Pitzer and Scripps Colleges
Visiting Professor Positions in Organic and Gener…
W.M. Keck Science Department, Claremont McKenna, Pitzer, and Scripps Colleges
Open Rank Professor of Materials Science and Engi…
Pennsylvania State University