Research Scientist – Accelerator-Based Medical Isotope Development
Located on the South Campus of the University of British Columbia, TRIUMF is Canada's national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business. Our rapidly expanding Life Sciences Division is seeking an outstanding Nuclear Chemist/Radiochemist to join our team and lead a research program in Nuclear and/or Radiochemistry. As the successful candidate, you will pursue relevant technology alternatives in order to advance the field of isotope research and radiopharmaceutical development, with a focus on metallic radioisotopes.
Our Life Sciences Division collaborates extensively with the Pacific Parkinson's Research Centre (PPRC), the BC Cancer Agency (BCCA), Nordion and other university faculties providing an excellent means to deliver your research results to the greater scientific community. TRIUMF is dedicated to the success of its Nuclear Medicine program and is actively expanding experimental laboratory space, with the recent completion of a state-of-the-art GMP radiopharmaceutical laboratory and joint radiochemistry research laboratory with Nordion, Inc. Additional infrastructure upgrades include a connection between TRIUMF and UBC’s new Centre for Comparative Medicine. You will continue to leverage unique infrastructure in order to enhance TRIUMF as a leader in the field of Nuclear Medicine Research.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Scientific leadership in the field of radiopharmaceutical development as applied to both molecular imaging and radionuclide therapy
- Interacting with the user community to foster further collaboration, and is expected to forge relations with companies and institutions who would benefit from the technology developed at TRIUMF.
- Enabling the division to deliver on its objectives along with the priorities of its program of work related to the development and application of novel imaging and therapeutic isotopes sourced from the various accelerators at TRIUMF
- Achieving successful results using available resources, including maintaining an effective and visible scientific program
- Play a key role in strategic planning for the division by providing input toward the scientific goals and strategies of the division
- Ensuring that the safety and quality standards of TRIUMF experiments are consistent with the TRIUMF standard operating procedures
- Maintaining own research projects, and applying for NSERC, CIHR or other funding grants
- Directly supervising postdoc, graduate, and undergraduate students; oversee the work of technical staff
We encourage you to explore this opportunity further if you have:
- Research-specific knowledge and skills include a strong background and training in chemistry, with specialty in radiochemistry at the Ph.D
- Critical scientific thought and effective experimental strategy
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent relationship building talent, and effective problem solving skills
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, and are comfortable with your ability to delegate
This is a full time Board Appointed term position leading to a continuing appointment after 5 years, and is considered equivalent to a faculty position at a Canadian university. This designation enables you to apply for NSERC and other peer-reviewed funding opportunities. The position includes eligibility to hold adjunct professor status at a number of associated universities including, but not limited to, any of the 19 member universities that govern TRIUMF.
- Competitive hiring salary and a comprehensive benefit and pension plan
- Relocation expenses
- An excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
All qualified applicants will be given serious consideration, and in the case of equal qualifications, preference will be given to a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.
Applications should include a statement of research accomplishments and interests, and arrange for at least 3 referees to submit reference letters directly to the email contact below.
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email as noted below, and will include the following:
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating Competition # and salary expectations
- Reference details
TRIUMF Human Resources (Comp. # 564)
All documents must be submitted in one of the following formats:
- PDF (preferred)
- Plain Text
- Microsoft Word
Applications accepted until 2017-04-21
More search results
NRC Research Associateship Program
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
CHAIR OF CHEMISTRY
Faculty Position Openings
School of chemistry and chemical engineering, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Faculty Positions at the College of Chemistry & C…