Production Scientist II – Advanced Organic Synthesis Chemist
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
- Achieve production goals relative to Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost
- Completion of daily production work orders
- Process documentation is maintained in the form of batch record sheets, reports and lab notebooks and the technician must contribute to and foster the development of a healthy cooperative environment
- Train and mentor less experienced staff
- Using appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including a respirator (when required)
- Support large scale production (10, 30, 50, 100 and 300 gallon reactors) loading reactors, drum handling, large scale solids handling, filtration and centrifugation
- Set-up and use of medium scale (22, 50 and 72 liters) glass apparatus, large scale rotary evaporation
- Use moderately heavy equipment use such as drum carts, gas cylinders, balances and filled carboys
- Support small scale production (milligram to 1 kilogram) assisting more senior chemists with their work.
- Perform analysis of compounds and reaction mixtures using common methods: (HPLC, GC, MS, UV/VIS, FTIR, NMR, TLC).
- Collection and bulking of hazardous waste for the Rockford site
- Perform water and solvent washing of chromatography resins/gels
- Formulation of materials, operation of the MAPD equipment, drying ovens, plate sealer to produce No-Weigh™ type products
- Participate on cross-functional project teams
- Interact with suppliers, operations, logistics, QA, EHS, and R&D
- Identify, select and qualify new suppliers
- Design and evaluate synthetic routes for new compounds
- Provide R&D support, process improvements, scale-up, cost reductions and safety improvements
- Involvement in custom synthesis projects, and customer inquiries
- Involvement in the improvement of test methods
- Involvement in projects of increasing complexity and scope
- Occasional assistance in other departments such as the formulations lab and packaging may also be required
- Completed metrology work orders as assigned
- Other duties include cleaning, assembling and disassembling equipment, involvement in process development, occasional assistance in other departments such as the formulations lab and packaging.
- Other projects / duties as assigned
- B.S. or B.A. in Chemistry with a minimum of 2 years experience, preferably from an ACS (American Chemical Society) accredited program
- A thorough understanding of chemistry at the undergraduate level
- Ability to work with moisture sensitive materials
- Ability to safely handle flammable solvents
- Advanced experience with general laboratory techniques such as distillation, filtration, closed transfer, reaction chemistry and crystallization
- Experience with rotary evaporators, vacuum pumps/ovens and small/large scale glassware
- Advanced experience with analysis techniques such as TLC, pH, GC, GCMS, NMR, IR
- Ability to routinely lift 50-60 lbs
- Mechanical aptitude
- Proficient in PC applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Capable of learning other applications, such as Visio, Minitab, MRP, etc., as needed
- Must be flexible to work occasional off-shift or weekend hours as needed
- Ability to travel as requested. Both most likely on a limited basis
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for effective interpersonal interactions and to sell initiatives and proposals
- Good writing skills for preparing specifications, experimental plans, and operating procedures
- Must contribute to and foster the development of a healthy cooperative environment
- Must be flexible and capable of carrying multiple projects simultaneously and wearing many different hats depending on the situation and circumstances
- Associates in this position may as part of their job activities generate or manage hazardous waste as defined by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency
- Individuals in this position are required to receive initial hazardous waste training within the first 30 working days of assignment
The initial waste training shall include but not be limited to the following general categories: identifying hazardous and solid waste, hazardous waste management, recycling, treatment and disposal, emergency preparedness and record keeping and pollution prevention and waste reduction.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 50,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.