The Analytical Laboratory has an opening for a technician level analyst to work in the inorganic section of the group. This position is in a corporate lab that services the technical needs of all of OC’s business units around the globe. The job entails preparing samples and also completing quantitative chemical analyses on a wide range of inorganic materials. This will include the characterization of the various raw materials used to make our glass as well as the finished glass itself. The incumbent will be a key player in a team-focused environment.
Inorganic Lab leader
Span of Control:
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES, SCOPE, and CONTRIBUTIONS
Participate in group safety functions (10%)
- Housekeeping, safety meetings, special safety projects
- Attend monthly safety meetings, audits and safety days
- Author SOP, JHA, MOC for new method development and implementation
Sample preparation of inorganic materials for instrumental analysis (40%)
- XRF and AA sample preparations
- Working with acids, including hydrofluoric acid
- Follow detailed methods and procedures; communicate all findings
- Utilize the LIMS to manage tasks for efficient operation of lab
Quantitative Analysis by instrumental, wet chemistry and titrations. (25%)
- Sample preparation and quantitative analysis of raw materials and glasses
- Provide quality repeatable and reproducible testing results without errors in methodology and process
- Maintain instrument and equipment, identify consumables to be ordered
Method development and validation and establishment of instrumentation (25%)
- Utilizing advanced instrumentation with data analysis
- New characterization methods development and implementation
- Generate ideas for continuous improvement of lab process or methods
- 4 year college degree in a hard science, B.S. in Chemistry preferred
- 3+ years’ experience working in a chemical laboratory (Instrumentation: GFAA; Flame AA; ICP-OES; XRF)
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Analytical Instrumentation is required
- Working with acids (to include HF)
- Working knowledge of Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) preferred not required
- Ability to pay attention to details and sometimes perform repetitive work
- Proficiency in software such as MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) is required
ABILITIES & PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Unwavering commitment to safety
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven success at working independently
- Proven multitasking and planning / organizing skills
- Strong oral communication skills
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we’ll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.