MATRIC is a strategic innovation partner providing deep, uncommon expertise and infrastructure to solve the most challenging problems of science and technology. With expertise in chemicals, energy, environmental issues and advanced software, MATRIC enables its partners to move ideas from conception to market with speed and efficiency.
The Process Chemist is responsible for conducting reaction optimization, developing robust processes, scaling up and delivering high quality chemical intermediates. The Process Chemist must be skilled in the art and practice of modern chemistry, and have demonstrated technical proficiency in performing sensitive chemical reactions, isolations, separations, purifications and crystallizations. Demonstrated experience at scale-up and a track record of problem solving are required. The Process Chemist is expected to provide laboratory-based leadership and be a role model for the scientific/technical community in the company by effectively managing technical details and providing sound scientific opinions.
- Plan laboratory experiments to confirm feasibility of the processes and techniques used in the production of materials having special characteristics.
- Transfer products from a laboratory setting to full scale production.
- Conduct research on the structures and properties of materials such as organic chemicals and polymers, to obtain information that could be used to develop new products or enhance existing ones.
- Determine ways to develop processes for new materials with new or specific properties for use in a variety of products and applications.
- Drive change in manufacturing processes in order to improve yield, quality, cycle time, and overall production cost.
- Confer with customers to determine how to tailor materials to their needs.
- Maintain a detailed and clear record of laboratory work in a laboratory notebook and summarize that work in written reports.
- Develop and write new work instructions.
- Provide input regarding the direction of laboratory projects.
- Recommend materials for reliable performance in various environments.
- Test individual products to ensure that manufacturer and government quality and safety standards are met.
- Work independently on short term and long term assignments of varying complexity.
- Work cooperatively in a multi-functional team setting.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment and adhere to all safety rules.
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in organic chemistry or related field.
- Strong understanding of organic chemistry, including knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Knowledge of scientific research methods and experiments; ability to advise other chemists performing chemical and physical testing.
- Familiarity with applicable regulatory guidance.
- Skilled at analytical methods such as HPLC, GC, MS, NMR, IR, DSC, and TGA.
- Clear understanding of experimental design.
- Strong communication, organization, and planning skills.
- High level of technical aptitude and creativity.
- 5+ years relevant experience in process chemistry.
- Hands-on experience working on scale-up projects and troubleshooting scale-up issues.
- Experience in process chemistry and scale-up from gram to multi-kilo quantities.
- Experience in multi-step chemical synthesis.
- Proven track record in identification and optimization of safe, scalable synthetic routes that focus on quality product.
Position Location: South Charleston, WV
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status or status as an individual with disability.