Chief Science Officer
Founded in 1909, AOCS (American Oil Chemists’ Society) is an international scientific society that advances the science and technology of oils, fats, lipids, proteins, surfactants and related materials by:
- providing current and emerging information and disseminating research through our meetings, publications, and web presence;
- developing methods of analysis used in global trade and research, conducting proficiency testing, providing reference materials, and coordinating with other standards setting bodies, including ISO and Codex Alimentarius;
- facilitating and strengthening interactions among professionals through meetings, specialized interest groups, and other networking opportunities; and,
- collaborating with other scientific societies and related organizations to promote the advancement of science.
We are seeking a dynamic individual with passion and drive to serve as Chief Science Officer supporting the strategic objectives of the Society. This person will work closely with all functional areas of AOCS, lead the technical service staff, and report to the Chief Executive Officer.
Primary functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead technical programs, including Uniform Methods, Laboratory Proficiency Program, Examination Board activities (Approved Chemist, Certified Laboratory) and Reference Materials.
- Lead administration of AOCS scientific journals (Journal of American Oil Chemists’ Society, Lipids, and Journals of Surfactants and Detergents).
- Influence the direction of all parts of AOCS (including membership, meetings, publications, and technical services) by proactively applying knowledge of current scientific and technological advances and industry trends.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with key scientific and technical constituents in government, academia, industry and other scientific societies, with a willingness to leverage these relationships to foster strategic linkages across AOCS programs broadly.
- Serve as a member of the AOCS Leadership Team.
- Collaborate with marketing teams to actively promote the capabilities and scientific and technical product offerings of AOCS to the global scientific community and other potential stakeholders.
- Proactively communicate pertinent scientific, technical, or regulatory developments through appropriate Society publications and communication vehicles. Work directly with Editor-in-Chief of the AOCS Lipid Library to ensure content is complete, up-to-date, and accurate.
- Steward resources to execute strategies and initiatives to achieve a positive outcome.
- Ph.D. in a relevant discipline. Background and/or experience in analytical chemistry highly desirable.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, with progressively responsible management/senior leadership positions in applicable functional areas.
- Proven ability to deliver results in leadership positions.
- Experience working with regulatory issues and/or international standard setting bodies (e.g., Codex Alimentarius, International Organization for Standardization, etc.).
- Experience developing departmental strategies, goals, objectives and priorities aligned with organizational goals. Proven success effectively managing projects and developing high-performance teams.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation skills and comfortable presenting to large groups.
- Able to work effectively in multicultural situations.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of staff and members.
AOCS offers competitive compensation including an excellent benefits package.
For more information about AOCS, please visit www.aocs.org.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com and include “Chief Science Officer” in the subject line.