- Sr. Water Quality Specialist
- Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)
- Silver Spring
- $67,636 - $103,250
- May 5, 2017
WSSC, is one of the largest water and wastewater utility in the USA, seeks a Water Quality Technician. This position is responsible for water quality sampling from the drinking water distribution system and water filtration plants, wastewater plants, rivers, and reservoirs. In addition, the responsibilities include chemical and physical analyses, conducting laboratory special studies, and operating online water quality monitoring instruments.
Specifically, the Sr. Water Quality Specialist performs these essential functions;
- Plans and coordinates full, pilot, and bench scale tests including developing test protocols, coordinating sampling, testing & background researchwith other WSSC groups, and preparing reports and recommendations.
- Leads special water quality studies to solve long term problems or prepare for future regulations.
- Appropriate staff, maintaining complaints database, and developing corrective and preventive measures.
- Provides customer support on water quality problems including making initial response to customer calls, conducting operational investigations, coordinating support with.
- Participates in WSSC’s CIP and/or AMP processes involving water quality issues, and independently review and evaluate impacts on water quality.
- Participates in the formulation and implementation of long-range plans for various engineering or scientific programs of major importance to the Commission, and serves as project team leader as needed.
- May interface with federal and state regulatory agencies to coordinate regulatory compliance processes.
- Monitors regulatory water quality monitoring activities to assure compliance with monitoring, water quality, and reporting requirements.
- Participates in regional decision making processes to protect water quality against accidental or deliberate contamination.
- Coordinates WSSC responses to regional inquiries and serves as liaison with regional partner agencies;
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science/engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, biology, or related scientific field.
- 5 years professional environmental engineering experience related to water supply and treatment/distribution system operation.
- Laboratory analyses performing wet chemistry testing, microbiology testing, and advanced analyses on water and wastewater.
- 5 years of experience in laboratory field operations water and wastewater utility.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and ability to obtain a WSSC driver’s permit (4 points or fewer on record).
- Possession of the MDE Certification for Water Samplers or obtain within 6 months of employment.
- Become proficient in one regulated drinking water method (inorganic, organic, or microbiology) and gain approval as an analyst under the Maryland State Water Quality Laboratory Certification Program within 6 months of hire
- Able to work nights, weekends, and holidays as needed on an on-call basis