- Water Quality Technician
- Silver Spring, MD
- $50,816 - $77,573
- May 5, 2017
WSSC, is one of the largest water and wastewater utility in the USA, seeks a Water Quality Technician. This position is responsible for water quality sampling from the drinking water distribution system and water filtration plants, wastewater plants, rivers, and reservoirs. In addition, the responsibilities include chemical and physical analyses, conducting laboratory special studies, and operating online water quality monitoring instruments.
Specifically, the Water Quality Technician performs these essential functions;
- Collects samples in accordance with the Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, Industrial Discharge Control, and all other applicable local, state or federal environmental regulations.
- Assists with customer complaints handling and coordination of customer sampling logistics. May communicate directly with customers to coordinate investigations and sampling.
- Conducts process control sampling at water filtration plants and distribution system sampling sites.
- Receives, logs-in, and analyzes laboratory samples.
- Guides Field Laboratory Technicians and periodically participates in various stream monitoring, field sampling, and laboratory projects.
- Prepares reagents and standards for both routine and non-routine laboratory analyses and maintains accurate, relevant, and timely records.
- Creates legible, on time and accurate records of all analytical work including entering/retrieving computer data, preparing analysis and special reports, and conducting quality control checks as required.
- Prepares sample bottles for field work, including specialized cleaning, adding required chemical preservatives, labeling and organizing into coolers and other transport mechanisms.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering/Science, Chemistry, Physics, Life Sciences or related field.
- 2 years of experience in laboratory field operations in water and wastewater utility.
- Associate’s degree in Environmental Engineering/Science, Chemistry, Physics, Life Sciences or related field.
- 5 years of experience in laboratory field operations water and wastewater utility.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and ability to obtain a WSSC driver’s permit (4 points or fewer on record).
- Possession of the MDE Certification for Water Samplers or obtain within 6 months of employment.
- Become proficient in one regulated drinking water method (inorganic, organic, or microbiology) and gain approval as an analyst under the Maryland State Water Quality Laboratory Certification Program within 6 months of hire