- Laboratory Director of the X-ray Crystallography Facility (CheXray)
- University of California, Berkeley
- Berkeley, CA 94720
- May 19, 2017
Laboratory Director of the X-ray Crystallography Facility (CheXray)
The College of Chemistry at the University of California, Berkeley is seeking a full-time (100%) fiscal-year Specialist (Step I-V). Laboratory Director of the X-ray Crystallography Facility (CheXray) is the working title and the expected start date is June 1, 2017 and no later than August 3, 2017.
About the College of Chemistry X-ray Crystallography Facility (CheXray):
The College of Chemistry consists of two departments: the Department of Chemistry and the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. The X-ray Crystallography Facility (CheXray) is a research facility for the use of faculty, graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and well-supervised undergraduate researchers. The Laboratory Director provides engineering services and technical support to all users of X-ray equipment. The Laboratory Director is responsible for the effective operation of the facility, ensuring that the facility's instrumentation, computers, electronic equipment, and engineering stations are maintained in state-of-the-art condition. The Laboratory Director reports to the Executive Associate Dean, who is responsible for long-term planning and oversight of the X-ray Crystallography Facility.
Specific responsibilities of the Laboratory Director of the X-ray Crystallography Facility include:
- Assisting in the operation of all X-ray diffractometers in the facility;
- Ensuring that the facility is open and available for access by users 24 hours per day, seven days per week;
- Maintaining strong liaisons with other X-ray laboratories and technology vendors;
- Interfacing with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory small molecule structure facility, which involves data collection using a synchrotron radiation source;
- Staying abreast of current technology and techniques in X-ray diffraction analysis;
- Attending one national meeting per year with a specific emphasis on crystallography;
- Taking part in the facility's crystal structure analysis service operation, which, depending on the customer's needs, may include obtaining and/or selecting X-ray quality crystals, mounting crystals, and conducting structural analysis;
- Promoting hands-on use by research workers by assisting them with their own structure analyses;
- Providing software and hardware training, answering questions, and offering assistance with the selection of crystals for mounting;
- Encouraging learning and scientific growth on the part of students;
- Providing courteous and professional consultative services to all users and service customers; and
- Managing the facility budget within the constraints of a research recharge operation.
In addition, the Director is expected to train studentsenrolled in X-ray Crystallography (Chem 208), under the guidance of the course instructor and teaching assistants, in the use of the instruments in the facility; this includes demonstrating the basics of X-ray diffraction data collection, crystal selection, crystal structure determination, and structure analysis.
Completion of all PhD or equivalent degree requirements in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biology, or related field except the dissertation at the time of application.
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biology, or related field is required by the start date.
PhD or equivalent degree by the start date, with at least two (2) years of postdoctoral research experience. Two (2) or more years of experience in the operation of X-ray diffractometers, crystal structure analysis, and powder diffraction analysis. Experience in managing an analytical user facility. Proficiency with UNIX operating systems, including basic system administration and networking.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this full-time (100%) position is $69,708 to $106,716 plus benefits. Starting salary will commensurate with experience.
The university provides a comprehensive benefits program which offers Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and AD&D Insurance, Short-Term Disability Insurance and Long-Term Disability Insurance. For a complete guide on UC Health Benefits for staff, please visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/health-plans/index.html
To apply, please visit: https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/apply/JPF01329
Applicants should submit their most updated curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and provide contact information for three (3) references.
Please address inquires to Christine Balolong, University of California, Berkeley, firstname.lastname@example.org
Position will remain open until filled.
The College of Chemistry is interested in candidates who will contribute to the diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their work.
Family Friendly Statement:
UC Berkeley has an excellent benefits package as well as a number of policies and programs to support employees as they balance work and family.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of the University not to engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with the University of California on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer-related or genetic characteristics), genetic information (including family medical history), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Process Safety Engineer
Associate or Senior Editor (m/f) Nature Catalysis
Wahring & Co. Media GmbH
Staff Chemist-Chemical Synthesis Core Facility
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Full Time Lecturer – Chemistry
Faculty Positions in School of Physical Science a…