- Chemists/Scientists for the Emerging Leaders in Science Program
- St. Louis, MO
- Jun 24, 2017
Chemists/Scientists for the Emerging Leaders in Science Program
Monsanto's Emerging Leaders in Science (ELS) scientific leadership recruitment and career development program is seeking top scientific talent to join our Technology Organization (R&D). If you are successful in being selected into this program, you will be immersed in a comprehensive, cross-functional rotational experience within a company that is a globally recognized innovation leader in plant breeding, chemistry, biotechnology, crop protection, biologicals and precision agriculture. As a participant in this program, you will be quickly involved in multiple areas across Monsanto, and you will work with, and be mentored by Monsanto's most talented scientific leaders. You will emerge prepared to lead efforts focused on agricultural innovation.
Monsanto is looking for the next generation of leaders in the field of Chemistry. We are hiring top chemists with experience in one or more of these areas: Analytical, Formulation, Chemical Engineering, Environmental, Organic, Discovery Scientists or Chemistry Data Science. We are seeking highly motivated individuals to join the cutting edge Emerging Leaders in Science Program (ELS). Successful candidates will have a track record of competitive accomplishments. As part of the ELS program, you will be expected to foster and advance cross technology efforts to meet scientific challenges that address Monsanto’s commitment to global agriculture. The positions are for integral members of a multidisciplinary, results-driven, customer focused team. The positions represent full-time, career opportunities in an exciting, dynamic environment serving a broad range of research and development needs of a Life Sciences Company. Top candidates must have highly effective verbal and written communication skills, the ability to work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders, the agility to respond rapidly to challenges as they arise and possess clear potential for rapid growth and learning.
Monsanto’s agrochemical productivity products are designed to help make our customers’ operations more efficient and play a vital role in improving the productivity of our seed and trait systems. Opportunities for those with a strong chemistry background to contribute to the growth of our business include: the development and optimization of current & new manufacturing processes, formulation of new and improved products with both traditional chemical and biological actives, characterization and quantification of environmental and human exposure to support chemistry product registrations, and development of analytical methodology and data necessary to meet global regulatory requirements and commercial advancement.
Sustainable agriculture is at the core of Monsanto. Our best-in-class technologies deliver sustainable agriculture solutions that enable farmers to produce more crops while conserving precious natural resources. Monsanto Technology is comprised of a multifaceted group of scientists working together to revolutionize crop protection chemistries, plant breeding, and biotechnology. Monsanto is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a top 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and by Great Place to Work’s Top 25 World’s Best Multinational Workplaces.
Twenty years from now, the earth’s population will need 55% more food than it can produce now. Today, Monsanto is working with farmers around the world to do something about it. In over 60 countries, Monsanto has established industry-leading products because we give professionals the freedom to make real decisions. Monsanto is an Employer Of Choice with an outstanding professional development program and a history of building careers. Make an impact by joining the team that is working to solve one of mankind’s greatest challenges.
Required Education and Skills/Experience:
- Minimum of a PhD (or PhD completion within calendar 2017) in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Environmental Science, Chemical Engineering, Food Technology, Polymer/Materials Science, Data Science or a closely related discipline
- Post-graduate experience in academia, government R & D, or industry
- Self-motivated, with demonstrated ability to independently define and execute critical studies and develop/communicate recommendations
- Demonstrated track record of solving challenging and complex scientific problems
- Prior experience demonstrating strong written communication and oral presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships, collaborate and influence colleagues across diverse multi-disciplinary teams
- Proven track record of delivering key results while working with strict deadlines in a highly demanding and dynamic environment
- Proven experience strategically planning, coordinating, executing and driving multiple projects from conception to completion
- Demonstrated success in leadership of people and/or projects
- Demonstrated success in results orientation, customer focus, team orientation, and influencing across a diverse organization
- Ability to take complex ideas and document in clear and succinct detail
- Strong learning aptitude, critical thinking and agility
- Demonstrated success innovating
Desired Education and Skills/Experience:
- Two or more years of experience working in a chemistry role in industry
- Experience with formulation of complex product mixtures
- Background in product development and advancement
- Working knowledge of experimental design, statistical methods and/or process modeling
- Applied science background, with experience working effectively across scientific disciplines
- Experience building a successful research team, including obtaining resources, setting direction, and mentoring others
- Demonstrated technical expertise in one or more of the following areas:
-Chemical synthesis, catalyst development, and associated methodologies
-Design, development, and scale-up of production processes
-Experience in the preparation of two or more formulation types (SL, SP, EC, SC, SE, WG, CS, and/or OD)
- Physical and chemical characterization of formulations, active ingredients, surfactants and inerts in order to evaluate stability, safety and product performance characteristics
- Quantitative analysis (assay & trace level determinations), separations science, structural characterization & elucidation, metabolomics, and/or field analytics
- Analysis and modeling to understand environmental fate, transport, uptake and bioaccumulation of chemicals in plants and/or animal tissue
- Development of novel analytical methods & instrumental techniques
- Experience conducting studies in a regulated environment (such as GLP/GMP/ISO)
- Demonstrated strong skills in computer programming
- Two or more publications in leading scientific journals
- Proven record of delivering impactful results in an entrepreneurial setting
- Demonstrated creativity in defining challenging exploratory projects and developing solutions
- Experience with crops such as Corn, Soybean and/or Cotton
- Ability and desire to work in a heavily matrixed, team-based environment
- Experience building consensus and leading teams through influence
Who is Monsanto?
Monsanto is an agriculture company with more than 20,000 employees focused on making a balanced meal accessible to everyone. We work to help farmers produce food in a more sustainable way. We think about how our food is grown so farmers have the tools they need to have better harvests.
We believe that bringing diverse perspectives together is the most effective way to develop creative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges. Career opportunities at Monsanto range from farming, plant breeding, chemistry and engineering to marketing, environmental science, IT and many other areas. We’re always looking for exceptional professionals interested in developing a strong career while collaborating to develop solutions for sustainable agriculture. Sound like a job for you?
Why work with us?
- Life at Monsanto means collaborating with dedicated professionals in a stimulating environment
- Our people demonstrate our winning culture through positive and meaningful relationships
- You will work with market leading brand products in a global organization
- We provide competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and some of the best career development opportunities in the industry
- Monsanto is named Great Place to Work in many countries around the world
Join our global team where your contribution will make a real difference!