The MIT Department of Chemistry seeks a research scientist to assume responsibility for
- Training new users in the operation of the GC-MS, MALDI-TOF, and the Q-TOF instruments in its Instrumentation Facility (DCIF) as well as the Center for Environmental Health Sciences’ Bioimaging and Chemical Analysis Facilities Core (CEHS-BCAFC) instrumentation (HPLC, Agilent Q-TOF, Agilent Triple Quad, LC/MSD, GC/MS, and Agilent ICP-MS);
- Assisting the DCIF director and CEHS faculty with MS instrument acquisition and upgrades, including proposal preparation;
- Providing high-resolution mass spectral data using the Bruker Apex IV Fourier Transform Mass Spectrometer (FT-MS);
- Acting as a liaison between DCIF and CEHS-BCAFC operations to jointly coordinate the implementation of modern instrumental research techniques in response to faculty research needs;
- Systematic MS instrument maintenance, repair, and enhancement of MS-capabilities at both DCIF and CEHS-BCAFC.
- Maintaining the DCIF instrumentations: Bruker FT-MS, the Bruker MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer, the Water Q-TOF mass spectrometer, the Agilent Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer, and Agilent ICP-MS
- Assisting the DCIF director and CEHS faculty in assessment of facility needs, planning, and writing MS instrumentation proposals
- Assisting in instrument acquisition and upgrades
- Providing high-resolution mass spectral data using the Bruker Apex II Fourier Transform Mass Spectrometer (FT-MS)
- Providing the DCIF director with billing data as needed
- Handling calibration file archiving for the mass spectrometers and user-login file archiving for MS instruments in DCIF and CEHS-BCAFC as needed
- Maintaining and tracking CEHS-BCAFC user database as well as providing monthly billing data to the CEHS HQ staff
- Maintaining the CEHS-BCAFC instrumentation: HPLC, Agilent Q-TOF, Agilent Triple Quad, LC/MSD, GC/MS, and Agilent ICP-MS and resolving any necessary repairs
- Providing training for all new users on the CEHS-BCAFC instrumentation
- Ordering compressed gas and supplies for the MS instrumentation in both facilities
- Splitting effort between the DCIF and the CEHS-BCAFC to optimize operation of MS instrumentations and enhance research capability in both facilities
- Keeping informed of new technology and improvements in the field
- Other duties as directed
- Ph.D. in chemistry or a related field
- Extensive experience in modern mass spectrometric analytical techniques
- Ability to interact with students and faculty with diverse research needs and interests.
Interested candidates may apply online at http://web.mit.edu/jobs. Please reference job number 14701 and indicate where you saw this posting.
MIT is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.
More search results
NRC Research Associateship Program
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
CHAIR OF CHEMISTRY
Faculty Position Openings
School of chemistry and chemical engineering, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Faculty Positions at the College of Chemistry & C…