- Instructor, Chemistry
- Foothill-De Anza Community College District
- Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
- Jun 4, 2017
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 16-120
Campus: De Anza College
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Starting Salary: $57,066 - $93,722 annually*
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Actual salary placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience*.
Initial Review Date: 4/17/17
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Chemistry Instructor, De Anza College.
De Anza College provides an academically rich, multicultural learning environment that challenges students of every background to develop their intellect, character and abilities; to realize their goals; and to be socially responsible leaders in their communities, the nation and the world.
De Anza College fulfills its mission by engaging students in creative work that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and attitudes contained within the college's Institutional Core Competencies:
- Communication and expression
- Information literacy
- Physical/mental wellness and personal responsibility
- Global, cultural, social and environmental awareness
- Critical thinking
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
- Instruct community college lecture and laboratory chemistry courses to a diverse student population with multiple learning styles;
- Teach courses ranging from introductory and allied health chemistry to general and organic chemistry;
- Plan, organize, and oversee curriculum development, participate in the formulation and assessment of student learning outcomes, and select textbooks and materials for chemistry courses, including those which contain contributions to the discipline by ethnic groups and women when appropriate;
- Participate in collaborative efforts to prepare laboratory schedules, maintain equipment, and address safety, chemical handling, and waste disposal in accordance with departmental policies; and,
- Assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials, effective teaching methodologies, and informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions.
- Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, serving on District and College committees, participating in campus extra-curricular activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor and the mission of the College.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's degree in chemistry OR Bachelor's degree in chemistry or biochemistry AND Master's degree in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology, or geochemistry, OR the equivalent.
- Recent lecture and laboratory chemistry teaching experience at the secondary or post-secondary level;
- Currency in chemical education as demonstrated by course work, research, presentations, or active participation in professional chemical societies;
- Hands-on experience maintaining and operating instrumentation used in community college and research laboratories, such as GC-MS, NMR, and IR;
- Experience with and knowledge of hazardous materials handling, disposal, and storage in a chemistry laboratory;
- Experience maintaining a safe laboratory environment in compliance with safety rules;
- Ability to motivate and teach students with diverse cultural, socio-economic, and ethnic backgrounds, preparation, learning styles, and disabilities using instructional methods that reflect cultural sensitivity and interdisciplinary approaches to subject matter;
- Professional experience in a non-academic chemistry related area;
- Experience working with community organizations, local universities, and high schools to promote chemical education and articulation at all levels;
- Experience working collaboratively with colleagues at the department and division level;
- Commitment to actively participate and contribute to the work of the department and institution; and,
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Indoor; office, classroom, and chemical laboratory environments.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application on http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/. *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff. Additionally, you will be asked to explain how your life experiences, studies or work have influenced your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- A summary document, not to exceed two pages, detailing your experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the preferred qualifications enumerated in the position announcement.
- Completed Supplemental Questionnaire: In a single document, respond to the following questions: (a) Why are you interested in teaching Chemistry at a Community College? (Not to exceed 300 words) (b) Describe your philosophy of teaching chemistry. What approaches do you use to implement this philosophy in the lecture and laboratory? (Not to exceed 300 words), and (c) Please identify one or two of your own personal weaknesses in the classroom and how you would work or have worked to address them in your teaching and curriculum development to more fully meet the needs of all students. (Not to exceed 300 words)
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- A list of all successfully completed undergraduate and graduate courses (including institution, department, title, and course number) that you feel are relevant to the position qualifications.
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED prior to an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates will be subject to this requirement.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $57,066 - $93,722 annually* plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience*.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to: http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/All%20Faculty%20Schedules_16-17.pdf
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Faculty are also eligible for paid sabbatical leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2017
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
NRC Research Associateship Program
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
CHAIR OF CHEMISTRY
Faculty Position Openings
School of chemistry and chemical engineering, University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Faculty Positions at the College of Chemistry & C…