About the Opportunity
The Research Associate (RA) will facilitate analytical chemistry work within Driscoll's Consumer Lab to address fruit quality attributes for plant breeding, molecular genetics, sensory, and postharvest groups. This role will work with a small creative team to develop and perform metabolite phenotyping experiments for all Driscoll's berry crops. The RA will be responsible for an analytical chemistry platform used to profile fruit metabolites associated with quality and flavor. This is an exciting research opportunity to explore the genetic potential and diversity of flavor in the development of superior Driscoll's berry varieties.
Driscoll’s is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll’s is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll’s exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll’s is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries ™. For more information, please visit our website at www.driscolls.com.
- Perform, develop, and optimize extraction techniques for fruit metabolite profiling in Driscoll's four berry crops.
- Operate and maintain analytical instrumentation such as GC-MS and LC-MS.
- Interpret, quantitate, and report on chromatography and spectrometry data.
- Maintain, organize, and manage a high volume of samples and sample data.
- Keep a stocked, clean, and orderly laboratory to promote safety and productivity.
- Supervise temporary technical staff to assist in the research efforts as needed.
- Support and promote safety through example and leadership.
- Establish working relationships with sensory analyst, molecular geneticists, plant breeders, and postharvest biologists within Driscoll's to deliver the analyses they require.
- Draft reports and presentations that document established experimental procedures and results.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other researchers in the field through attendance at conferences and symposia.
- Follow Company policies and practices while representing Driscoll’s in an ethical and business-like manner in all interactions with employees, governmental agencies, growers, customers, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, food science, or related field is highly desired. Bachelor's degree required.
- Two years minimum experience operating, maintaining, and analyzing data from GC-MS or LC-MS.
- Prior sample preparation and extraction work is required; headspace analysis is highly desired.
- Flavor/fragrance, metabolomics, or biochemistry research knowledge is highly desired.
- Experience with high-throughput analytical chemistry is desired.
- Experience with statistics and chemometric modeling is desired.
- Individual must be organized and motivated.
- Individual must demonstrate the ability to successfully work in a cross-functional team environment, and develop strong trust in all working relationships.
- Excellent communication skills, including written, verbal, and presentation skills are required.
To apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to Job #897383 on our website at www.driscolls.com. In your cover letter, please provide a brief overview of your relevant experience to this role and why you are interested in Driscoll’s. We appreciate your interest in Driscoll’s.
More search results
Public Health Strategist
Tier II Canada Research Chair in Chemistry of the…
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Karen and John Huff Chair of the School of Civil …
Georgia Institute of Technology
Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Computational Che…
University of Ottawa
Postdoc - Postdoctoral Fellow - Process Spectrosc…