- Organic and Macromolecular Synthesis Facility Staff Scientist (Molecular Foundry)
- Berkeley Lab
- Berkeley, CA
- Jun 16, 2017
Organic and Macromolecular Synthesis Facility Staff Scientist (Molecular Foundry)
Organic and Macromolecular Synthesis Facility Staff Scientist (Molecular Foundry) - 83713
Organization: MF-Molecular Foundry
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Molecular Foundry Division has an opening for an Organic and Macromolecular Synthesis Facility Staff Scientist. This is an opportunity to join a vibrant research community dedicated to doing excellent science in a supportive, inclusive environment. You will establish a world-class research program at the interface of organic/macromolecular chemistry and nanoscience.
The Molecular Foundry’s Organic and Macromolecular Synthesis Facility aims to advance science of new functional small molecules, polymers, organic-inorganic hybrids and their architected assemblies for energy applications. You will devote an equal portion of your time establishing your own scientific research program and supporting the research of a diverse and collaborative user community, who access the Foundry via a peer-reviewed proposal process. Your unique research portfolio will attract and expand the user community, and complement the world-class environment of multidisciplinary research at the Molecular Foundry.
What You Will Do:
• Design and lead a robust individual research program at the interface of organic/macromolecular chemistry and nanoscience, complementing current capabilities and expertise in the Organic and Macromolecular Synthesis Facility.
• Devote equal effort to fostering a thriving multidisciplinary user program through development of unique expertise and capabilities in organic materials design, synthesis and manipulation.
• Collaborate with other Facility scientific staff members to provide scientific support for users.
• Carry out active, original research; prepare scientific data for publication in refereed journals; and present findings at seminars and conferences.
• Provide users with support through your own efforts in the area of synthesis and understanding of organic nanomaterials and through training of or collaboration with users in this area.
• Supervise, empower, and coach scientific and technical staff as appropriate. Maintain a safe working environment and demonstrate respect for environmental protection, health and safety, and help instill that aspect in all staff and users of the Organic and Macromolecular Synthesis Facility.
What Is Required:
• Advanced degree in chemistry, polymer science, materials science, or another discipline relevant to organic materials synthesis and manipulation, or equivalent work experience in any of or a combination of these disciplines.
• Postdoctoral or individual research experience.
• Extensive research experience and an established track record in organic nanomaterials synthesis and characterization.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills, open-mindedness, and the desire to collaborate with multiple research groups across disciplines.
• High level of international recognition in areas related to nanoscale materials research, as judged by publication list, highly cited papers, invited talks at national and international meetings, prizes, and awards.
• Demonstrated leadership of independent research and development work.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• User facility experience and/or successful collaboration with research groups across disciplines.
• Safety conscious with a good understanding of positive safety culture.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a 1 year career-track term appointment that may be renewed to a maximum of five years and that may be converted to career based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position is contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=99392 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Requirements for application:
• Candidate should describe their plan for building a world class research program at the interface of organic/macromolecular chemistry and nanoscience at Molecular Foundry.
• Candidate should outline their plan for fostering a thriving multidisciplinary User program
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".