The Infectious Disease Research Institute (IDRI) is a Seattle-based non-profit research organization committed to developing products to prevent, detect and treat infectious diseases. IDRI translates basic research to develop vaccines, diagnostics and drugs for applications in global health. We focus on antigen discovery and development, adjuvant formulation and delivery, therapeutic molecule discovery and development, and biomarker discovery for diagnostics. IDRI’s leadership in the global health community extends to international alliances and partnerships with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, universities, research institutes, governments, and public health organizations.
IDRI is currently searching for a Senior Scientist (PI) in Chemistry to join the Drug Discovery group. The candidate will report to the Senior Vice President of Drug Discovery. The candidate will oversee the Chemistry group with the Drug Discovery team and will be expected to bring in external funding to expand activities in this area.
- Oversee the chemistry program and staff, work with management team on strategy, business plan and operations
- Develop scientific strategy to support the key goals of the organization, continued organizational growth and stability, and best scientific practices
- Engage directly in scientific research and development
- Communicate effectively with all research groups to achieve high level program goals
- Advise senior management on research progress/direction
- Direct professional and personal development of scientific staff members at all levels
- Conduct scientific research into a variety of clinical, pharmaceutical and biomedical compounds and potential commercial products
- Conduct chemistry-oriented scientific research
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic research methodology and protocols, and be able to work creatively and independently on research, as required
- Develop, plan and execute research plans and studies utilizing established scientific methods and protocols
- Plan, direct and execute scientific research according to the project. Plan and design experimental methods. Troubleshoot and solve technical problems
- Investigate and implement new methodologies
- Analyze and interpret complex data
- Develop and maintain consumables budget and supplies for each project
- Direct project activities for collaborative projects
- Prepare work plan and ensures its execution.
- Coordinate all project-related activities
- Coordinate all partners involved in the project
- Provides regular report and present at external and internal meetings
- Direct chemistry efforts and support for programs
- Prepare chemistry plans for drug discovery
- Direct analog synthesis externally and internally
- Assist in the evaluation of screening hits from HTS
- Supervise post-doctoral research chemist(s) and research assistants as needed
- Supervise and train new members of staff and students
- Maintain expert-level knowledge of current topics and research in areas of scientific work.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of TB drug discovery area
- Undertake literature searches to keep up to date with research in the area of the project.
- Identify new project areas for exploration
- Identify and explore funding sources and potential funding partners
- Prepare grant applications for chemistry project funding
- PhD in relevant area
- Minimum of eight years of relevant experience, including supervising staff
- Recognized as a scientific leader in their scientific field
- Wide ranging and in-depth knowledge of scientific field and multiple topic areas; familiarity with other scientific fields
- Ability to assimilate data and research findings outside of the organization into the development of new scientific projects
- Demonstrated success in managing projects
- Experience in preparing, implementing, managing, and analyzing scientific data
- Experience writing original scientific documents and grants
- Strong results-driven personality, high level of enthusiasm and energy, and an ability to demonstrate flexibility and integrity
- Outstanding scientific, interpersonal, public speaking and communication skills
- Highly developed organizational skills and ability to work with close attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks; good time-management, problem-prevention, and problem-solving skills. Flexibility in performing multiple tasks
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Ability to work with co-workers and outside agencies professionally and tactfully
- Possess a work ethic that includes neatness, punctuality, and accuracy
IDRI offers a comprehensive compensation plan which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D and EAP. In addition, IDRI offers Flexible Spending Accounts, a matching ROTH 401K Retirement Plan and Commuter benefits.
This summary describes a portion of the essential functions/responsibilities of this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all job duties. Management reserves the right to modify the duties of this position as necessary.
Infectious Disease Research Institute (IDRI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
IDRI is an E-Verify Employer
More search results
Sales & BD Mgrs/Directors/VPs in Building Blocks,…
PharmaBlock Sciences (Nanjing), Inc.
Group Leader/Principal Scientist - Surface and Po…
Saint-Gobain Innovative Materials
Director of Process Engineering Research; Chemica…
Cambrex High Point
Roche Postdoctoral Fellowship in Targeted Drug De…
NRC Research Associateship Program
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine