Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
Senior Scientist II/III, Molecular Biology – Oncology Target Discovery
As part of a talented and multi-disciplinary team advancing exciting new approaches to drug discovery and development, AbbVie Stemcentrx is looking for a highly motivated scientist with direct experience in oncology target and biomarker discovery. AbbVie is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company with a strong focus in oncology and its subsidiary Stemcentrx is a leader in identifying novel cancer stem cell targets and developing targeted antibody drug conjugate (ADC) therapies in oncology. The successful candidate will drive discovery work and be the scientific lead of a highly skilled and motivated group of scientists. The team’s responsibilities include identifying and validating antibody drug conjugate (ADC) therapeutic targets and biomarkers to treat cancer in targeted populations of patients.
- Develop innovative strategies for ADC oncology target discovery and work cooperatively with bioinformaticians and cancer biology indication leads to identify and validate potential targets
- Supervise a team of scientists running gene expression and genetic sequencing experiments
- Serves as scientific project lead as therapeutic antibodies are characterized, ADCs are tested for efficacy and safety, and diagnostic and biomarker strategies are pursued
- Writes manuscripts, presents at scientific conferences, and drafts regulatory and patent documents
- Proactively seeks out and incorporates novel ideas and cutting edge technologies
- PhD and 5+ years of oncology target and/or biomarker discovery, preferably in an industry setting
- Highly motivated, goal oriented and independent scientist with a stellar publication record of scientific accomplishments in oncology
- Proven track record of successful management of direct reports, guiding and teaching scientific staff
- Technical expertise in molecular biology methods including nucleic acid isolation, qRT-PCR, next-generation sequencing (mutation analysis and gene expression), etc. as well as experience with corresponding data analysis methods
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a proven track record of working effectively in a dynamic, collaborative, team-oriented setting