- EH&S Chemical Safety Manager
- Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- Foster City, CA 94404
- Aug 6, 2017
EH&S Chemical Safety Manager
Specific Responsibilities and Skills
The role of EH&S Chemical Safety Manager is to oversee Chemical Hygiene compliance and safety programs as well as customer service activities associated with management of the research chemical inventory of the Gilead, Foster City campus. The successful candidate will use effective time management skills with minimal supervision on projects of moderate to challenging complexity. This will include identification, development, update and maintenance of compliance and safety programs, protocols, and procedures in collaboration with research staff. These opportunities for improvement in safety culture are expected to be prioritized and addressed via execution of effective solutions in a timely manner. Finally, excellent communication skills are required for maintaining regular interaction and customer service with customer groups throughout the organization.
- Oversee all regulatory compliance associated with the role of Chemical Hygiene Officer as defined by 29 CFR 1910.1450 and 8 CCR 5191:
- Author and edit the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Evaluate need for and ensure timely completion of all necessary employee exposure monitoring activities.
- Participate in determining PEL and STEL values for research compounds.
- Create, maintain, and deliver chemical hygiene in-person training course.
- Assist with scheduling of employee medical surveillance activities as warranted.
- Participate in hazard identification and communication standard implementation.
- Identify and refer employees required evaluation/participation in respiratory protection programs
- Maintenance of all recordkeeping associated with chemical hygiene regulatory compliance.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory requirements associated with listed CA DOJ or DEA monitored materials, EPA Extremely Hazardous Substances and listed carcinogens (OSHA and CA Prop 65).
- Develop and implement a comprehensive program for compliant receipt, storage, management, and use of compressed gases in research and facilities environments.
- Supervise vendor staffed service teams responsible for research chemical supply management:
- Chemical Management Services: fine chemical reagent inventory receiving, tracking and delivery, internal transfer and ensure proper labeling and segregation of materials in storage.
- Replenishment Services: Ordering, receiving, and stocking of routine chemical inventory supplies for research departments.
- Solvent Services: Ordering, receiving and stocking of regularly used solvent inventory to support research operations, including maintenance of building solvent delivery system supply.
- Maintain excellent customer communication and interaction with research departments to foster increased safety culture environment.
- Collaborate with customer groups to develop and document a general Gilead Best Laboratory Practices program for customer reference and new employee training
- Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA, EPA, DOT and other related EH&S regulations, codes and guidelines.
- Technical and practical knowledge of biotechnology and/or research and development is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required.
- Excellent written, oral communication, public presentation and customer service skills.
- The ability to be collaborative in a matrix management environment, effectively shift priorities and work at a rapid pace is required.
- Proficiency in chemical sciences (graduate degree in Chemistry preferred) with 6+ years of experience in an environmental, health, safety, and/or related discipline. Experience in organic synthetic chemistry laboratory research environment is highly preferred.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/Foster-City/EH-S-Chemical-Safety-Manager_R0000700
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency