Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
General Purpose: The Analytical Services Group (Core Facilities) of Yale University West Campus is seeking to hire a Research Support Specialist for its newly commissioned Cleanroom. Under the supervision of the Director of the Materials Characterization Core, the Specialist is responsible for closely monitoring the health of the Cleanroom support systems and its research equipment. The Specialist oversees the installation and commissioning of research equipment. The Specialist coordinates manufacturer service technicians, Yale Facilities personnel, and other resources to ensure high facility and equipment uptime. The Specialist troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs defective equipment. The Specialist coordinates the safety training of the researchers working in the facility and provides training on the facility's research equipment. The Cleanroom will accommodate the research activities of faculty from the West Campus Institutes: Nanobiology, Chemical Biology, Cancer Biology, Energy Sciences, Systems Biology, and Microbial Sciences. The Specialist will support activities of the facility in partnership with the existing cleanroom facilities in the Yale School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and with the existing Analytical Services Group at West Campus. The Specialist is expected to assist faculty, staff, and students in conducting research. S/he will also be required to assist the Director of the Materials Characterization Core in the development of research plans and participate in preparing grant proposals. Participate in acquiring funding. Additionally, the Specialist assists other Core staff with respective operations in the Analytical Chemistry Core, Imaging Core, Flow Cytometry Core, and Materials Characterization Core. Activities include organizing the space and the flow of work, ordering equipment and supplies, advertising technologies available in the facility, scheduling work, establishing priorities, assist in developing short and long range programmatic goals to ensure the outstanding quality of the services.
In addition, the Specialist will:
- Serve as a technical resource for cleanroom users by developing and debugging cleanroom processes used in research. Benchmark essential cleanroom processes and performance.
- Oversee and train users in the operation of a newly acquired Mask Aligner – Suss MA6/BA6 (or equivalent) or EVG 610, 620 (or equivalent).
- Oversee and train users in the operation of a newly acquired Zygo Nexview 3D Optical Profiler.
- Oversee and train users in the operation of newly acquired wet process hoods.
- Assist in managing research groups for the efficient flow of research projects.
- Interact with vendors, suppliers, manufacturing companies and other research institutions to develop and design specialized equipment and instruments.
- Develop and maintain a system for data and user management.
- Interact with internal contacts to discuss and consult on research projects.
- Exchange technical information. Stay abreast of new research technologies and developments.
- Supervises the installation and commissioning of equipment.
- Troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs defective equipment either using in-house resources or through manufacturers' service and assures minimum equipment downtime. Supervises and coordinates manufacturer service technicians during repair and maintenance procedures.
- Develops equipment maintenance schedule.
- Manages inventory of chemicals, specialty gases, and supplies.
- Assists supervisor and other staff with the development and enforcing of safety and operational protocols.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in a related field and five years of related experience in a research development facility or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills suited to a multiuser environment. Ability to work as a full collaborator with faculty, students, and research staff. Ability to train and instruct students and post-docs.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and support multiple projects for multiple users. Ability to function independently and utilize judgment, analysis and creativity in investigating problems while evaluating alternative solutions. Demonstrated self-motivation.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of microfluidic and/or microelectronics processing equipment. Demonstrated experience working in a multiuser Cleanroom environment.
- Proficient working knowledge of modern mask alignment tools, such as Suss MA6/BA6 (or equivalent) or EVG 610, 620 (or equivalent).
- Familiarity with modern profiler instruments such as Zygo Nexview 3D Optical Profiler. All processes related to soft lithography used in the fabrication of micro and nano-fluidic devices; and data management is critical.
- Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: B.S. Degree in Engineering and 5 years related work experience in a research development facility, supervising and overseeing facilities operations; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at http://bit.ly/2nF6nZQ. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.