Two full-time team leader positions in research
Two full-time team leader positions in the following research categories (W626) or (W627).
(W626) Green Nanocatalysis:
Development of environmentally benign processes for the production of desired chemicals by recyclable catalyst systems such as nano-structural catalysts and microflow device reactors.
(W627) Advanced Elements Chemistry:
Cutting-edge multidisciplinary research combining synthetic organic chemistry, spectroscopy, and computational chemistry for the synthesis of functional molecules and materials based on earth-abundant elements.
- Carry out research in accordance with the themes mentioned above,
- Provide guidance and advice to the researchers in his/her team as necessary,
- Manage the lab smoothly,
- Participate in the CSRS Management Meeting etc.
- A researcher with outstanding achievements and rich experience,
- Excellent leadership needed to achieve the mission of CSRS,
- Strong motivation toward disciplinary studies and joint collaborative researches,
- Desirably research experience outside of Japan.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama, Japan 351-0198）
Salary and benefits
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY 2022 to decide its operations from FY 2022 and beyond, and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee’s contract will not be renewed for FY 2023 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
The salary system is annual and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided.
Social insurance will apply. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai) is required.
Days off include public holidays, New year’s holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan. 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
*RIKEN promotes a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create an equitable workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When the abilities of candidates are judged to be equivalent through a fair and impartial evaluation process, preference will be given to females.
*Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi)
Application and Required documents
All documents must be written in English.
- Outline of previous research achievements and outline of research plan or proposal (five or les pages A4 sized paper in total)
Write down in a top margin of the document a number written next to the title of the job position (W626 or W627)
- Complete CV (with photo and email address)
- List of publications and presentations. Also attach five papers relevant to the position being applied to
- Certificate of graduation for the highest level of education achieved or copy of said diploma
- Two letters of recommendation including one from researcher who is neither a Japanese citizen nor resident
The recommendation letters should be addressed to “Director of the RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science.”
How to apply
• Submit application documents by post mail (ordinary registered mail or simplified registration) to the address given below.
• In red ink, write on the envelope “Application for Team Leader of CSRS”
• Application documents by email are not accepted, except for letters of recommendation. When the recommendation letters are submitted via email, they must be emailed directly from the reference to csrs-hr[at]riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
Apply at links below:
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Application must arrive by August 31, 2017 (Japan Standard Time)
Handling personal data
After application documents are screened, only the successful candidates will be asked to have an interview and oral presentation
April 1, 2018
Contact Information/Send Application to
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science planning Office
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama, Japan 351-0198
Email: csrs-hr[at]riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.