Assistant Teaching Professor of Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Victoria invites applications for an Assistant Teaching Professor with expertise in the area of Organic Chemistry.
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching organic and bioorganic chemistry courses at the second and third year level and may be required to teach chemistry at other levels. The appointee will become an outstanding teacher and mentor of undergraduate students, and will contribute to the development and delivery of core programs in Chemistry.
The Department of Chemistry is a research-intensive unit at the University of Victoria and is dedicated to providing outstanding programs for undergraduate students in Chemistry. Graduates of the department are well prepared for graduate school, professional programs and positions in the private sector. Recent enhancement of research activities within the department, as well as increases in the number of graduate students and undergraduate students, characterise the department as one of the strongest in Canada. New research space and undergraduate laboratory space has dramatically enhanced research activity and the laboratory experience for undergraduate students. The Department of Chemistry is highly collegial and benefits from the services of a very effective and dedicated staff.
The successful candidate will have:
- PhD in Chemistry or a relevant discipline,
- Teaching experience at the university level,
- Demonstrated interest in a career in teaching,
- Outstanding ability in teaching chemistry courses with potential to teach at all levels,
- Ability to teach in areas of organic, bioorganic and general chemistry,
- Compatibility with the Department of Chemistry at UVic, including ability to interact with the members of the department, and
- Potential for initiating development of the curriculum and delivery of the academic program.
Applicants must provide:
- a cover letter,
- a curriculum vitae,
- a teaching dossier (including a teaching philosophy) that reflects a commitment to a career in teaching, and
- names and contact information for three or more individuals able to act as referees.
Documents should be sent to Sandra Carlson, Department Secretary, Department of Chemistry, University of Victoria, PO Box 1700 STN CSC, Victoria BC V8W 2Y2 Canada, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be considered after 1 August 2017 for potential appointment on 1 January 2018.
Faculty and Librarians at the University of Victoria are governed by the provisions of the Collective Agreement. Members are represented by the University of Victoria Faculty Association (http://uvicfa.ca).
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply however in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.