Assistant Professor in Organic Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Victoria invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position with expertise in the area of Organic Chemistry. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing a research program of international stature and teaching organic chemistry courses at all levels. In addition to this position, the Department has advertised a position for an Assistant Teaching Professor in Organic Chemistry.
The University of Victoria, on the west coast of Canada, is in the top one per cent of universities in the world for scientific impact and fourth in the Leiden ranking in Canada for proportionate research impact in science. The Department of Chemistry (www.chemistry.uvic.ca) is a research-intensive unit that is dedicated to providing outstanding programs in Chemistry. The Department is one of the strongest in Canada, boasting new research space, and offering outstanding research opportunities within the areas of health, energy, and materials chemistry. The Department is highly collegial and benefits from the services of a very effective and dedicated staff.
- Hold a PhD in a relevant area; postdoctoral or equivalent experience is desirable;
- Be an emerging scholar, as demonstrated by experience in conducting research and productivity as an author of publications in leading scholarly journals;
- An innovative and high-impact research proposal;
- Be an effective teacher of chemistry, as evidenced by evaluation data, testimonials and other documentation.
Applicants must provide:
- a cover letter,
- a curriculum vitae,
- a concise research proposal (5 pages, NSERC Discovery Grant format preferred),
- a teaching dossier (including a teaching philosophy) that reflects a commitment to teaching,
- names and contact information for three individuals able to act as referee.
Documents should be sent to Sandra Carlson, Department Secretary, Department of Chemistry, University of Victoria, PO Box 1700 STN CSC, Victoria BC V8W 2Y2 Canada, email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on 1 September 2017 and continue until the position is filled for potential appointment on 1 July 2018.
Faculty and Librarians at the University of Victoria are governed by the provisions of the Collective Agreement. Members are represented by the University of Victoria Faculty Association (http://uvicfa.ca).
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply however in accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.