Senior Engineer, Downstream Processing
Sr. Engineer, Downstream Processing – Algenol Biotech LLC
Summary of Your Job
As a Sr. Engineer, Downstream Processing, you will lead the development of product extraction and purification systems, as the company develops new high-value products from algae, specifically related to protein and other valuable extracts for food and nutritional purposes. This will include concept development, acquisition, installation, start-up and validation of conformity to the design specifications. This position will also identify opportunities for process improvements, in the areas of separation and extraction, that can be incorporated into subsequent system installations at larger scales. The position requires application of design and process control principles to ensure product quality for all production activities.
Your Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as the engineering lead in downstream processing for the completion of the process development, design, acquisition, installation and operation of integrated pilot and commercial scale product extraction and purification unit operationsProvide company-wide expertise in protein-related separation and extraction techniques. And, provide expertise and guidance on the effective application of design and process controls to maintain product quality.
- Support selection and evaluation of new processes and manufacturing approaches, as well as equipment and designs, to continuously improve both pilot and commercial plant performance in the area of downstream processing.
- Develop standard work processes for all production areas to maximize safety, quality and efficiency.
- Participate on design and manufacturing teams to develop novel solutions to the unique technical challenges experienced in downstream processing.
This ideal candidate will have:
- A Master’s (plus 10 years experience) or Ph.D. degree (plus 5 years experience) in an Engineering discipline (e.g., Chemical, Biochemical, Food Science) with experience in a private sector company (preferred).
- Significant experience in the food or personal care industry, preferably related to food protein, natural oils and fats and other valuable extracts, is a plus; GMP compliance experience is also a plus.
- Design experience with multiple dewatering, extraction, filtration, purification and drying equipment and related systems.
- Knowledge of Quality System Requirements and associated application of design and process controls required.
- Operating or process support experience with industrial scale product extraction and purification processes.
- Understanding of lean principles with respect to manufacturing line and plant design required.
- The temperament and interactive personality necessary to lead within an innovative, fast-moving, start-up environment.
Algenol is an equal opportunity employer.
Application Procedure: Please e-mail a PDF version of your cover letter and curriculum vitae to: email@example.com; reference “Sr. Engineer, Downstream Processing” in the subject line.