Professor (with special responsibilities) in Surface Physical Chemistry
1 day left
- Job Type
Professor (with special responsibilities) in Surface Physical Chemistry
DTU Chemistry at Technical University of Denmark invites applications for a position as Professor (with special responsibilities) in Surface Physical Chemistry with emphasis on basic studies—as well as industrial applications—of surface forces and molecular design of functional polymer interfaces.
DTU Chemistry strives for academic excellence in research, innovation, and education within Advanced and Applied Chemistry, and the department has strong activities in Organic, Inorganic, Physical, and Biophysical Chemistry.
With a position as Professor (with special responsibilities), the department seeks to strengthen its activities within fundamental and applied surface physical chemistry as well as within innovation and industrial collaboration. The department is looking for an early-career research leader who has demonstrated the ability to attract external funding, who has collaboration with external academic and industrial partners, and whose research career is on a steep growth trajectory. A successful applicant must thus have a strong academic background within the field and a clear potential for further growth in her/his research activities.
The professor will be an important member of the section for Physical and Biophysical Chemistry and is expected to interact closely with the other faculty members of the department.
Responsibilities and tasks
The position covers research and research based teaching including:
- Research leadership in order to strengthen and develop the field
- External collaboration with academia and industry
- Innovation as part of research and teaching
- Educational guidance and supervision of young researchers (postdoctoral fellows and PhD students)
The purpose of the position is to strengthen the department’s research and education profile in interdisciplinary surface physical chemistry and colloidal science, combining state-of-the-art tools and methodology of experimental and theoretical colloidal chemistry to explore and innovate structures, interactions, and functionalities of polymer interfaces.
The professor will be responsible for initiating, supervising, and communicating fundamental and applied research in the field of surface physical chemistry. The educational responsibilities can include a broader range of topics within general and physical chemistry.
The professor should develop the above-mentioned research areas at DTU Chemistry in fruitful collaboration with relevant staff at the department, and establish strong links with other departments at DTU and at other Danish and foreign universities as well as engage in the increasing industrial collaboration of DTU Chemistry.
This also implies securing major external funding for the research area and initiating new projects to strengthen and develop surface physical chemistry in Denmark.
The professor is expected to participate in teaching at the BSc, MSc, and PhD levels.
Notable achievements will be expected within research/innovation and research-related leadership, and generally achievements in extension of the qualifications stipulated for the position, which are:
- Significant original scientific output at international level, which has been instrumental in the advancement of the field in question
- Documented and successful teaching and dissemination experience at different levels within academia
Requirements for the position are:
- A strong background in, and an innovative approach to, surface physical chemistry relevant for fundamental understanding as well as the application potential of new insight
- A strong track record of academic cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Interest for application-oriented research and industrial collaboration
In the assessment of the candidate, consideration will be given to
- the candidate's qualification for handling the special, function-related assignment(s) that are associated with the position
- scientific production at international level, research potential and ability to lead and develop a research team
- the ability to teach
- the ability to promote and utilize research results
- experience with innovation activities
- an all-round experience basis, including international experience
- the ability to contribute to the development of internal and external cooperation
- the ability to attract funding to the research area
- visions within the research area
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The position is available for a 5-year period and may be extended for up to 3 years more. At the end of the period, the employee in question transfers to a position as associate professor at the university.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Department, Professor Erling H. Stenby, +45 4525 2012/ +45 2261 6875.
You can read more about DTU Chemistry at www.kemi.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 20 October 2017. Apply at www.career.dtu.dk
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link ‘Apply online,’ fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications indicating scientific highlights
- H-index, and ORCID (see e.g. http://orcid.org/)
- Documentation for teaching experience (e.g. in the form of a teaching portfolio)
- A plan for future research
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Chemistry is among the internationally leading departments of chemistry within several topics under the main areas: physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and organic chemistry.
The department is responsible for teaching at the BSc, MSc as well as PhD level. The teaching activities are closely related to the active research projects of the department. The research is advanced chemistry ranging from relatively fundamental to almost applied research within chemistry with a polytechnic approach. The purpose is to explore the methods and concepts of modern chemistry which also relates to neighboring fields such as nanotechnology, physics, and biochemistry. Many research projects are aiming at applications within areas such as energy, pharmaceuticals, catalysis, and materials. The research is often performed in close collaboration with Danish and international industry or universities. The Department has approximately 150 employees, including presently 31 faculty members.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation, and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 11,000 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.