Associate Scientist II / Scientist I - Biophysics
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our Stemcentrx team that will be dedicated to the generation and characterization of milligram to gram quantities of recombinant proteins to support validation of oncology targets in discovery and pre-clinical. The successful candidate will support protein expression, purification and extensive characterization, which will include standard biophysical techniques (FPLC, HPLC, UV-Vis spectroscopy, static/dynamic light scattering, etc.) along with assays related to the determination of antibody-antigen binding affinity (mostly SPR) and to drug-like properties of antibody leads. The candidate is expected to have a strong background in Biochemistry, with a particular focus on protein purification and protein-protein interaction.
* Perform protein purification for both antibodies and targets using Affinity, Ion-Exchange and Size-Exclusion chromatography.
* Characterize antibodies and protein targets using typical analytical tools in protein chemistry (FPLC, HPLC, SDS-PAGE, IEF, etc).
* Characterize protein-protein interactions by measuring binding kinetics and affinity on biosensor instruments (Biacore and ForteBio).
* Contribute any additional data useful to antibody screening, lead identification and target validation (epitope binning, Isotyping, ELISAs, etc.).
* Perform small scale protein conjugations to small molecules (NHS and Maleimide chemistry).
* Communicate efficiently with team members on deliverables and timelines.
* Execute clear and up-to-date record keeping.
* BS/MS with 2+ years of academic or industry experience.
* Proven track record in protein chemistry, with deep understanding of key concepts in protein purification, protein characterization and protein-protein interaction.
* Attention to details and excellent verbal/written communication skills.
* Flexibility and ability to adapt to quickly changing priorities in a fast pace environment
* Skilled at working in a fast paced environment, being able to shift priorities on a short notice, and multitask on a wide range of different activities.