Associate Scientist/Scientist, Separation Sciences
At Novavax, a clinical-stage vaccine company, we are creating tomorrow's vaccines today! We seek to attract, develop, and retain talented people who share our passion for science, medicine, and human health. We foster an environment of teamwork and collaboration, built on a culture that values and appreciates its employees. We are a fast-paced company that provides employees with opportunities to achieve personal and professional goals while also maintaining a balance between work and personal life.
We are seeking someone to work in our Analytical Development group. The qualified individual will have experience with separation sciences methods used for analysis of complex protein samples, including recombinant protein biotherapeutics and vaccine products. Prior experience with the development and application of spectroscopic, chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, SDS-PAGE is required. Familiarity with other analytical techniques for protein analysis and characterization, including mass spectrometry, are a plus. The position requires initiation and involvement in development and qualification/validation of assays, assistance in assay investigations and troubleshooting. The ideal candidate will have experience making detailed observations, analyzing data, interpreting results, preparing reports and standard operating procedures, and exercising appropriate technical judgment in the design, execution, and interpretation of experiments. The candidate will work independently and collaborate with other team members and other groups.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and qualify chromatographic and electrophoretic methods for product release, in-process sample testing and characterization of recombinant protein vaccine products.
- Apply new cutting-edge technologies for in-process testing
- Act as a subject matter expert on cross-functional teams and guide development work at external contractor organizations
- Perform method qualification/validation, and method transfer to other departments (e.g. QC)
- Thoroughly analyze results and methods, solve analytical problems, and troubleshoot assays
- Maintain effective communication with process development, formulation, QC, discovery, and clinical groups
- Write, review, and edit of standard operating procedures
- Prepare technical reports and scientific journal publications and presentations
- Provide selected sections for CMC regulatory filing
- Present scientific findings at internal meetings and external conferences
- Bachelor’s, Master's or Ph.D. in biological science or biochemistry. Minimum of 7 years experience for a Bachelor’s degree, 5 years for Master degree and 3 years for Ph.D. degree in pharmaceutical, biologics, and/or vaccine development.
- A thorough understanding of electrophoretic and chromatographic techniques in protein analysis is required. Familiarity with gel electrophoresis, HPLC, and CE methods is necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to critically analyze data using statistical tools and to compile technical reports.
Novavax, Inc. is a clinical-stage biotechnology company committed to delivering novel products to prevent a broad range of infectious diseases. Using innovative proprietary recombinant nanoparticle vaccine technology, we produce vaccine candidates to efficiently and effectively respond to both known and emerging disease threats. Our vaccine candidates are genetically engineered three-dimensional nanostructures that incorporate recombinant proteins critical to disease pathogenesis.
Our product pipeline targets a variety of infectious diseases, with clinical vaccine candidates for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and Ebola virus (EBOV), and preclinical programs for Zika virus (ZIKV), seasonal influenza and a combination respiratory vaccine candidate, as well as other infectious disease vaccine candidates.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Rockville, Maryland and Uppsala, Sweden. Novavax is traded on the Nasdaq Stock Market under the symbol NVAX and is dedicated to developing novel vaccines to address infectious disease.
Novavax, Inc. offers a base salary, annual bonus, stock options, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.