Scientist I, Analytical Chemistry
Who is Living Proof
We are problem solvers. We solve the toughest beauty challenges with science and patented technology originating from MIT. Our founders are hair stylists who were fed up with the limitations of conventional products and scientists from outside the beauty industry with no preconceived notions of what can and can’t be done. Twenty patents, 50 products, and 100 awards later, we have countless love letters thanking us for making products that keep their promises and for changing lives in ways both big and small. We are not hope in a bottle. We are Living Proof. And so are you.
This role is a new position within the Analytical and Quality Assurance group at Living Proof, reporting to the Head of Analytical & QA. The qualified individual will develop new GC/MS and HPLC assays, perform method validations, investigate complex analytical problems, and support the overall quality activities of the group. The incumbent will provide leadership for multiple hands-on projects and facilitate cross functional team interactions among a diverse group of scientists within Living Proof’s Product Development, Discovery, and external Scientific Advisory teams.
- Develop new methods to analyze for current and new active ingredients in complex cosmetic formulations
- Modify and validate current methods to optimize for cost savings and time efficiencies
- Routinely operate and manage GC/MS, HPLC, GPC and other instrumentation
- Troubleshoot methods and maintain equipment as needed
- Interpret MS and chromatographic data and generate technical reports
- Present and discuss results and progress to a cross functional team
- Assist with QA/QC activities as needed
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or closely related field. Or MS with relevant industry experience.
- 3-5 years of laboratory experience in Mass Spectrometry (required) and Chromatography
- Proven problem solving and strong critical thinking skills
- Highly motivated to work both independently and on small teams; embracing change and risk, and exhibiting flexibility
- Demonstrates an innovative spirit along with the ability to apply technical knowledge in insightful and creative ways
- Very strong interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills
- Exhibits excellent organization, planning and multi-tasking skills; must be capable of handling multiple projects/tasks at the same time
- Significant hands on experience in GC/MS, including instrument maintenance, method development, method validation, and quantitation activities
- Experience analyzing polymers and/or proteins by GPC or other methods
- Practical work on analyzing and preparing complex sample matrices including, but not limited to: emulsions, gels, waxes, aerosols
- Experience with HPLC/CAD or HPLC/ELSD methods and instrumentation
- In-depth knowledge of FTIR data interpretation, processing and chemometric modeling
- Strong knowledge and experience with data analysis and statistical software
- Experience with Agilent Chemstation or Masshunter software
- Knowledge in analysis techniques of hair and/or proteins
- Experience working in a GMP/GLP/ISO9001 environment, and knowledge of relevant regulatory guidelines (FDA, ICH, ISO, REACH, etc)
- A passion and enthusiasm for innovation will be an asset.
Please include a cover letter detailing your Mass Spectrometry and related instrumentation experience.