Director of Product Development
1. To support Kalsec®’s product development efforts in the Colors, Antioxidants and Spice and Herb Flavor Extracts product groups, by introducing new ingredients, developing new products, and working on long term applications objectives and select customer projects.
2. To support the strategy of the Global Applications & Development group, as it relates to vision and mission, sharing information, development of scientists, collaboration, support and alignment with other functions, and ensuring high quality technical work.
Essential Job Functions:
1) Lead the effort and develop strategies to best execute and manage internally driven pipeline development projects and research to solve industry problems and bring added value to Kalsec®’s existing and new products.
2) Prepare detailed reports describing research efforts, and when appropriate, present research results to scientific conferences, customers, Kalsec® staff and/or other groups.
3) Stay current on emerging technology and competitive products.
4) Direct the training and development of the Global Product Development staff.
5) Work collaboratively with the (global) Product Applications groups to ensure fluidity of concept, product, technology and project exchange and transfer, typically when the project requires new ingredients, specialized skill outside the applications group, or longer term development research.
6) Work collaboratively with the Product Directors to qualify, select and ensure appropriate resource allocation for the innovation pipeline and internally driven product development projects.
7) Work collaboratively with the Product Directors to ensure alignment in training tools and other product and market positioning activities.
8) Work with Sales to ensure efficient execution of select customer projects, meeting the customer needs, relaying the results and collecting & sharing feedback on progress and learnings.
9) Ensure and institute an environment where the Global Product Development staff are working productively and efficiently, applying sound scientific methodology and being responsive to internal and external customer needs
10) Stay current on Kalsec internal technology and outside technology, identify and develop applications based skills and proactively present new ideas for new concepts.
11) Measure and track ROI as it pertains to lab effort and commercial success of development activities and innovation pipelines.
12) Support Kalsec®’s business strategy and profitability targets.
13) Work with VP of Global Research and Development to ensure alignment in objectives with the commercial teams and with the overall Kalsec® objectives.
14) Measured on: successful launches, sales of new products, writing white papers to support launches, giving lectures at select conferences of interest and representing Kalsec in leadership roles through professional and scientific associations.
Ph. D. degree in a technical area such as food science, chemistry or related degree or equivalent food industry and experience in an R&D management role.
Five years of experience in product development and research.
Experience in natural food colors, antioxidants and\or flavors and extracts.