Senior Manager, Facilities & Engineering
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica®, Venclexta™, and Empliciti™ — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position will be based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
General Position Summary:
The Senior Manager of Facilities Engineering reports to the West Coast Head of Facilities & EHS and is responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction to the following areas with direct reports from: Office and lab engineering, general Facilities services (security, janitorial services, food services), site EHS, lab equipment support, campus maintenance and GxP compliance.
The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that deliverables are successfully executed for the Engineering team, developing the strategy for and overseeing Facilities infrastructure to accommodate and sustain company growth, developing/managing Facilities budget, leading the day to day maintenance/execution, improvement and/or implementation of construction projects within the company. Develops operating procedures for GxP Facilities management areas. Will oversee site EHS, compliance training and inspect laboratory and office areas to ensure compliance with GxP standards.
Core Job Responsibilities:
* Service the employees with their facility engineering related needs, ensuring their productivity is optimally maintained.
* Responsible for establishing and maintaining departmental engineering policies and procedures assuring compliance with City, County, State and Federal Health and Safety regulations and guidelines.
* Responsible for overseeing Laboratory Operations assuring that the in-house needs of the research staff are met for glassware, supplies and sterilization.
* Responsible for café operation and maintenance.
* Responsible for planning and managing budget to ensure economic and competitive pricing and spend.
* Manage and maintain general building functions, including HVAC systems.
* Manage repairs, upkeep, cleaning, and general assurance of proper presentation of the facilities, exterior/interior, and all grounds (repaint walls, fix blinds, change lights, shampoo carpet, for example).
* Oversee facility planning, design and execution (expansion, reconfiguration, build outs for example) and moves (movement of employee offices).
* Oversee three bid contract processes, negotiation of costs, pricing etc.
* Contract and oversee maintenance and repair performed by contractors. (janitorial services/lab services)
* Interfaces internally with other departments, for example, Chemical Operations, Research, Development, Quality Assurance and Human Resources.
* Interfaces externally with federal, state, county and city agencies during yearly audits (fire, chemical storage and chemical waste, biohazardous waste, waste water inspections).
Education, Qualification and Experience:
* Requires a Bachelor degree or equivalent number of years of experiences
* Must have at least 10+ years of experience in cGMP or regulated facilities
* Prior success in maintaining 100,000 plus feet facilities, including remodeling, moving and expansions.
* Demonstrated strong collaboration skills working with both internal and external organizations.
* Demonstrated capacity to skillfully communicate with all levels of employees as well as outside vendors and contractors.
* Must have experiences in lab and office built out construction projects.
* Must be results oriented with strong track record of success in delivering quality work space to employees.
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal).
* Must be able to handle emergency and/or stressful situations.
* Prior experience facilities management in Biotech/Pharma industry preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled