ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support R&D efforts on a new product development.
- Work with the Johann Schumacher Laboratories (JSL) analytical chemist on various projects.
- Conduct chemical research on the synthesis of new resins and polymers, etc.
- Update time allocation once per month for the Accounting, Program Management, and R&D.
- Work with the R&D Operations group
- Occasional international travel may be required.
- Ability to successfully interpret test results from FTIR, GCMS, TGA, DSC, TMA, DMTA
- Able to interpret proton (H1) and carbon (C13) NMR
- Give PowerPoint Presentations of projects on quarterly basis to the Sr. Director of R&D and Group.
- Maintain Gantt Charts to monitor project schedules
- Perform assigned tasks and tests in the JSL.
- Accurately complete data sheets and charts for tests performed.
- Completes testing in a timely manner as determined by customer.
- Direct Reports: 0
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Synthetic-Organic Chemistry or Synthetic Polymer Chemistry required. More industry experience needed for an M.S. degree. Thorough understanding of organic-reaction mechanisms, chemical kinetics, and thermodynamics. Working knowledge of Thermal Analysis, including DSC, TMA, PSDC, TGA, and DMA. Working knowledge and able to interpretate of FTIR, HPLC/ GPC, and H1 & C13 NMR. Strong laboratory practices and documentation skills. Computer literacy and familiarity with the Microsoft tools such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint Able to perform technical services using the Scifinder (CAS) database. Self-starter, able to work with little to no supervision. Practice the highest level of Safety.
- Able to read and interpret patents and technical articles in English.
- Understand College Algebra and first semester Calculus. Able to create macro formulas on Excel.
- Ability to apply the scientific deductive reasoning to problem solving.
ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES THAT ARE REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB:
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment and multi-task. Ability to work effectively under pressure. Ability to work effectively with people at all levels within the organization. Ability to present research progress on a regular basis with the R&D Sr. Director and colleagues. Must be familiar with the standard lab safety practices and/or Industrial Hygiene and perform work in the safest way possible.