Research Associate (PostDoc) in Mineral Crystallization (m/f)
The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1280 employees, the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the "System Earth" and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany's largest science organization.
We are looking for a new colleague to complement the "Interface-Geochemistry" team led by Liane G. Benning. One of our section's research foci is in situ and real time quantifications of mineral phase formation and we invite applications for a
Research Associate (PostDoc) in Mineral Crystallization (m/f) Job Vacancy No. 0586
- conduct original research on the mechanisms and kinetics of mineral crystallization and aggregation with a focus on inorganic and hybrid alumina and silica phases
- develop X-ray scattering methods for in situ and time-resolved phase characterization
- develop new models for molecular level reactions describing in situ phase agglomeration
- publish in international peer-reviewed journals; present research results at scientific meetings
- lead and/or considerably contribute to writing proposals for 3rd party funding with specific emphasis on synchrotron beamtime
- help co-supervise Masters and PhD students
Your qualifications: (essential in bold, all other qualifications are highly desirable)
- MSc and PhD degree in material sciences, geosciences, chemical engineering or equivalent with specialization in synchrotron based methods for phase characterization
- demonstrated expertise in novel experimental design, data analysis and model development for in situ data related to inorganic-organic hybrid processes
- proven experience in small- and wide-angle X-ray scattering data acquisition and analyses using advanced mathematical models
- hands on laboratory expertise in off line sample analyses (e.g., BET, Raman, FTIR, XRD, TEM)
- excellent publication and 3rd party funding records
- capacity for interdisciplinary and international teamwork and excellent communication skills
- documentable experience in supervision of students
- proficiency in spoken and written English, German is an asset
Starting date: 15th May 2018
Fixed term: 2 years (with possibility of extension)
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be into pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
If you have any administrative questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878 or send an email to email@example.com.
Please submit your application by 15th April 2018.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.