Principal Scientist - Product Advancement
Conducts independent applied research and leads corporate projects. May have limited managerial role in supervising work of designated scientists, technicians, interns, and undergraduate students. Contributes regularly to and is recognized as an authority by the external scientific community. Works closely with internal and external customers.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Serves as a principal investigator by planning, designing, and independently conducting experiments and associated research activities directed toward identified, strategic business opportunities requiring:
a. Judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and, if necessary, creation and modification of appropriate scientific techniques.
b. The application of specialized techniques or ingenuity in selecting and evaluating approaches to unforeseen or novel problems.
c. A thorough understanding of scientific methods, research protocols, assessment instruments, and data analysis and interpretation.
d. The evaluation and acquisition of new techniques and equipment that improve the capabilities of the laboratory and expand the possibilities for commercial opportunities.
e. Careful recording of experimental observations in a laboratory notebook kept in a sufficient manner to protect Kalsec®’s intellectual property rights.
f. Preparation of detailed reports describing research efforts, and, when appropriate, presentation of research results to scientific conferences, customers, Kalsec® staff, and/or other groups.
g. The transition of promising research work into the application and process development groups and seeing products through to commercialization.
2. Ensures that product development is setting the right specifications for new codes to meet high quality standards and expectations along with ease of manufacturing and the highest rate of first pass quality.
3. Maintains a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and business systems.
4. Recognized as an expert in their field.
5. Serves as a mentor to Kalsec staff including leading, guiding and training of scientists, student employees, interns, and/or others performing related work.
6. Develops contacts with outside researchers that further Kalsec®’s business objectives and multiply research efforts.
7. Maintains a safe and clean work area, complying with corporate safety and environmental policies.
8. Participates in training programs deemed necessary to either develop job skills and laboratory capabilities or meet company policies and directives.
9. Is aware of the company’s QA policy and objectives, strictly observing these policy provisions in the fulfillment of this job.
10. Participates in sensory programs and projects.
Specific Job Functions
1. Researches, develops, and implements product improvements and increased process efficiencies for Kalsec® antioxidant, color, flavor, and hops product lines.
2. Develops new products resulting in significant corporate growth.
3. Helps qualify new raw materials and set specifications for products.
4. Works collaboratively with Product Developers, Quality Control, Analytical, and Manufacturing to ensure successful technology transfer.
5. Troubleshoots issues in manufacturing including root cause analysis.
6. Provides support to others that are working with Kalsec® computer and documentation systems related to product formulas and manufacturing documents.
Required: Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Food Science, or a related scientific field and 10-15 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Desired: Postdoctoral Experience