Associate Editor, Computational Chemistry
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work with Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for an Associate Editor, Computational Chemistry to join our editorial team at Science in our Washington D.C. office. The individual will evaluate, edit and review articles with a Computational Chemistry component. Ideal applicants are scientifically rigorous, able to critically evaluate scientific work, have a great love of science and an excellent ability to network.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Evaluate, edit and review manuscripts with a computational chemistry component
- Judge the scientific value of research and select reviewers for submitted manuscripts
- Consult with other staff, advisors, and authors then make recommendations to manuscripts
- Guide manuscript through production process to ensure material is published in a timely manner
- Maintain relationships with the scientific community through constant communication and special events
- Assist authors as needed with changes throughout the revision process
- Write summaries of research results for publication
- Stay abreast of emerging trends in the scientific community
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of PhD in chemistry, preferably one-five years post-doctoral experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of scientific research methods
- Ability to rigorously and critically evaluate scientific work
- Experience with scientific outreach and networking
- Research Background in computational and theoretical chemistry
- Solid understanding of machine learning and artificial intelligence concepts
- Strong organization and attention to details
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think outside of the box and adapt to change
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter by May 21, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next step
Apply Here: https://bit.ly/2vvw6wB
Visit https://www.aaas.org/ to learn more about what we do
Find our latest job opportunities at: https://www.aaas.org/page/employment-aaas
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.