- We have two opportunities within the dynamic Biopolymers and Chemicals team
- Lead the design, development and syntheses of new polymers, composites and other materials
- Full-time permanent positions based in our Rotorua office in New Zealand
Scion is a Crown Research Institute specialising in research, science and technology development for the forestry industry, wood products and wood-derived materials. We lead new technology development for renewables, bioproducts and energy and the establishment of a broader based bio-economy.
What are we looking for? Scientists/engineers to apply their skills to developing novel new performance polymers, fibres and composites derived from bio-based materials and renewable resources. We want people who are results driven and self-motivated, with a willingness to spend hands-on time in the lab. You will have:
- A PhD in polymer chemistry, or materials science, or in chemical engineering,; post-doctoral and/or industry experience is a bonus
- A demonstrated ability in publishing research results in reputable international peer-reviewed journals and a proven track record in the writing and development of external funding applications
- The ability to design work plans and experimental designs that can be implemented independently or with the help of others
- Exceptional organisational skills and a proactive attitude to conducting work Attention to detail and strong record keeping abilities
- A reliable and strong sense of initiative with a proven ability to work in team and to work independently
- Experience supporting and leading research projects to successful outcomes Excellent communication and collaboration skills to assist in building positive and enduring relationships across
- Scion and with external customers to enable new product development project success
Scion is home to creative science minds and we have a vibrant culture ensuring employees can pursue innovation and excellence in their science delivery. With our head office based on the edge of Rotorua's world famous Whakarewarewa Forest, Scion also offers an enviable working environment with excellent work/life balance initiatives. Rotorua is one of New Zealand’s leading tourist destinations owing to its outstanding natural environment and proximity to coastal beaches and inland lakes, native forests, geothermal areas and volcanic ski-fields.
Scion is proud to offer:
- A stimulating research environment aimed at replacing oil derived products with environmentally friendly natural alternatives
- Cutting-edge research developing new functionalised chemicals, polymers, fibres and composites derived from bio-based materials and renewable resources
- An enviable work environment and a demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/ EEO principles.
Closing date: 25th May 2018