Advanced Application Engineer – Structural Adhesives (Maplewood, MN)
3M is seeking an Senior Application Engineer for the Automotive and Aerospace Solutions Division located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Senior Application Engineer will be a leader in our global technical team providing support to automotive OEMs and related tier suppliers in identifying and implementing successful solutions for structural assembly.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Developing and replicating high impact applications with our existing core product portfolio of structural adhesive liquids, films and tapes for automotive OEMs and tiers by determining key performance requirements, participating in design reviews, and training our customers on the proper use of 3M products.
- Identify the best 3M solution for an application through testing and analyzing the results. Communicate results to customers through written reports.
- Provide launch support for new programs by working with OEM & Tier launch teams, reviewing the process, & providing training to operators as necessary.
- Troubleshoot applications with issues by working with the OEM & Tier to identify the root cause & implement solutions.
- Building competitive value propositions for effective new product commercialization.
- Harnessing insights from customers and the competitive environment for future product development opportunities.
- Understand and apply regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Monitor competitive and industry trends for automotive assembly processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an Engineering or Science discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in engineering
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: application engineering, the design and/or manufacturing of bonding and joining solutions, working with automotive OEMs
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Polymer/Plastics Engineering, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline from an accredited institution.
- Three (3) plus year experience working in the automotive industry (tier or OEM).
- Experience in technical support activities with customers.
- Proficient in adhesive test methods and quality systems.
- Experience in adhesive dispensing/automation equipment.
- Excellent organizational skills - ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and accommodate changing circumstances.
- Strong problem solving / troubleshooting skills.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, and proven ability to work effectively with customers globally
- Strong people skills and ability to influence, collaborate, and work with cross-functional team
- Self-directed and internally motivated with proven leadership skills
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 30% domestic/international
Relocation Benefits: Are authorized for this position
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)