We are currently seeking a highly qualified Research Scientist to join the New Product Investigations group within the Analytical Sciences department located in our Center for Research and Technology in Richmond, VA.
The successful candidate will provide technical leadership in planning and executing analytical method development and validation for the analysis of flavors for e-liquids, and e-cigarette aerosol using gas chromatography mass spectrometry.
Specific accountabilities include:
- Overseeing investigations related to flavor stability and providing data to support flavor stability studies
- Applying specialized scientific knowledge in Analytical Chemistry and/or Organic Chemistry to understand the interactions of flavors and potential degradation products that could form
- Developing and implementing analytical methods for specific flavors in support of regulatory compliance and product development
- Independently conceiving, designing and executing analytical method development and validation studies for the analysis of analytes in tobacco, e-liquids and aerosols from e-vapor products
- Independently conceiving, designing and executing studies to investigate interactions between flavor components in e-liquids and aerosols from e-vapor products
- Serving as a scientific leader in his/her area of expertise, leading multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Collaborating with scientists in other disciplines and external organizations by applying his/her Chemistry knowledge to bring new technical insights
- Maintaining and managing the appropriate documentation for Analytical Sciences to be compliant with ISO 17025 Accreditation, Altria Quality System and Records Management policies
- Employing advanced analytical techniques, such as GC-MS and/or GC/GC-TOF to implement novel analytical methods in support of regulatory compliance, research and new product development
- Providing technical guidance and instructions to junior lab personnel to conduct research, problem solving investigations and instrument troubleshooting
- A Bachelor's degree in Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biology or closely related field with a minimum of 5 years' experience in developing and validating methods using GC/MS or an advanced degree in Analytical Chemistry or Organic Chemistry with a minimum of 3 years' experience using GC/MS systems for quantitative analysis
- Experience with flavor stability or demonstrated understanding of organic chemistry
- Demonstrated knowledge of analytical method development and validation
- Experience working in an ISO 17025 Accredited laboratory or other regulated laboratory environment is preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs including Excel, PowerPoint and Word for reporting, charting and explaining data results
- Experience with sample preparation and extraction techniques (LL, SPE, etc.) for the quantitative analysis of target compounds
- Proficiency with chromatography and mass spectrometry data analysis software's such as ChemStation and/or MassHunter
- Excellent technical writing and communications skills as demonstrated by presentations and publications in the areas of expertise.
- Ability to actively engage and travel to meetings and conferences.
Altria Group is a FORTUNE 200 company that owns the premier tobacco companies in the United States including Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, John Middleton and Nu Mark. The companies' brands include Marlboro, Copenhagen, Skoal, Black & Mild, MarkTen and VERVE. Altria also owns Ste. Michelle Wine Estates, one of the country's top premium wine producers, and Philip Morris Capital Corporation, an investment company. Altria's mission is to own and develop financially disciplined businesses that are leaders in responsibly providing adult tobacco and wine consumers with superior branded products.
We recognize that our people are the reason we achieve our business goals. We believe in developing the leadership potential of our employees by providing them with opportunities for training, development and advancement.
In addition to the opportunity to apply and develop your skills toward key business objectives, we offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive base salary, comprehensive health/vision/dental insurance, participation in our incentive compensation and deferred profit sharing programs, as well as a relocation assistance package.
Each Altria company is an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other protected class.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: