Principal Scientist, Analytics
At Bolt Threads, we believe that answers to our most vexing problems can be found in nature. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with, and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products. We are a venture backed, idea driven company, led by world-class scientific and engineering talent, as well as experienced executives from the technology and apparel industries.
We’re Looking For...
The Analytics Group is seeking a Principal Scientist to lead analytical method development activities in support of a highly multi-disciplinary process ranging from Fermentation to Recovery to Fiber Production. The successful candidate has proven capabilities in multiple modalities of measurement technologies and has supported a wide array of material types with the ability to “connect the dots” and curious mindset. The ideal candidate will have experience characterizing recombinant protein and related impurities produced from a microbial platform, as well as some working knowledge of polymer-based measurement technologies.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
- Development of analytical methods supporting recombinant proteins and resulting polymers, as well as relevant impurities (ranging from small molecules to macromolecules)
- Work closely with other Lead/Senior/Principal Scientists to identify opportunities for Analytics to address scientific problems within the organization
- Train, mentor other team members, including management of current team of two Associate Scientists/Scientists
- Authorship of documentation, including method development reports, SOPs, study reports, and technical notes
- Design and execution of method qualification/validation
- Active participant in overall technical development goals of Bolt Threads, offering appropriate guidance and experiential feedback towards all research and development teams as relevant.
- Highly networked individual who can reach out to an external network of experts and providers of analytical services
- Active participation in a culture of safety
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience in analytical method development
- PhD in chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, biochemistry, or a related field of study
- Extensive experience in HPLC, GC, Mass Spectrometry, UV/RI/Fluorescence detection, sample prep/derivatization, and other associated analytical techniques
- Familiarity with recovery and/or separations development and scale-up is also highly desirable
- Extensive experience in development of (RP) HPLC based assays for protein quantification is required
- Proven efficiency of working in highly dynamic work environment
- Proven ability in the development of sophisticated analytical methods supporting complex materials
- Proficiency in statistical analysis of analytical methods in support of research, development, and manufacturing needs.
- Excellent oral and written communicator
- Results-oriented team player