Senior Analytical Chemist (PhD)
CycloPure, Inc., (www.cyclopure.com) is an advanced materials science and technology company that develops proprietary technology that converts renewable cyclodextrins into porous, highly-adsorbent polymer adsorbents that safely and rapidly remove harmful contaminants from water.
We are looking for an experienced, highly-motivated Senior Analytical Chemist to work at our Research & Technology Center in Skokie, IL. This position requires extensive knowledge and experience in mass spectrometry (MS/MS systems) and experience in analytical chemistry, fluid handling, and high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Candidates must have a PhD in analytical chemistry, environmental science/engineering or a related field.
This position will involve: 1) developing and running adsorption assays using HPLC and MS detection methods; (2) providing feedback to synthesis team through testing adsorption properties of new polymers; (3) analysis of water samples received from potential customers, and; (4) testing the performance of company’s polymers using actual contaminated water samples.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Operate and maintain the LC-MS/MS system (ThermoFisher Q Exactive Hybrid Quadrupole-Orbitrap Mass Spectrometer).
- Collaborate closely with a multi-disciplinary team of organic and polymer chemists and environmental engineers to demonstrate adsorption performance of high-affinity cyclodextrin polymer sorption filtration media.
- Perform adsorption experiments at trace concentrations and analyze solutions to assess the performance of company’s polymers.
- Analyze water samples received from partners and customers.
- Establish and adopt standard analytical protocols for a variety of analytes, especially including organic contaminants and perfluorinated chemicals.
- Establish non-target screening methodologies for water test applications.
- Organize and manage large data files and database.
- Properly document experimental design and procedures, results, and present experimental outcomes at meetings.
Qualifications and Skills
- PhD in analytical chemistry, environmental science/engineering or a related field.
- Expert in understanding and experience in the operation of triple quadrupole mass spectrometers.
- Experience with ThermoFisher Q Exactive Orbitrap system is preferred.
- Excellent verbal communication and technical writing skills.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Ability to work independently as a member of senior scientific team and contribute to collaborative team projects.