Principal Scientist, Chemist
Specific Diagnostics has developed a powerful, low cost, novel technology that combines the identification of bacterial infection with the determination of the most effective antibiotic to treat it, enabling in hours what currently takes days. We have invented a small molecule sensor which obtains a time-dependent “fingerprint” of the volatile organic compounds emitted from organisms. This enables a rapid low-cost identification of infection-causing bacteria along with the life-saving rapid determination of antibiotic efficacy.
This is the job for you if want to be where your ideas will be central to world-changing and lifesaving products. We offer an opportunity to join us at an inflection point in our commercial growth, with our first commercial product being released and new recognition from major international government agencies fueling an expansion of our staff.
We are seeking to add a senior member to our strong team of chemists. This is a senior role; key responsibilities include: leading R&D of chemical sensor development, successful transfer from engineering to manufacturing, guiding scientists in their development and project management. This is not the job for a manager-only type, you will also be hands on contributing to our most challenging developments. As a leader, it is critical to communicate and collaborate with colleagues in our microbiology and data science groups to assure the sensor is making the most of the biology and that the data produced is ready for analytical analysis. Designs must prove ready for high volume, high yield, low cost manufacturing, design for manufacturability and ability to work with manufacturing teams is a critical aspect of this job.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Silicone and polymer formulation optimization.
- Lead R&D of colorimetric sensor projects.
- Manage 1-2 junior scientists involved in various chemistry R&D projects.
- Scout new funding opportunities and write project proposals and reports.
- Participate in sensor manufacturing.
- Collaborate with team leads in microbiology, engineering, and software.
- Document experimental results, problems and other relevant information under SOPs
- Read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, scientific procedures and regulatory guidelines.
- PhD in chemistry or material science with 5-10 years of industry experience in organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, polymer chemistry, and sol-gel formulations.
- Silicone and polymer formulation experience is a must.
- History of essential people management skills.
- Experience with vapor and/or liquid chemical sensors and sensor development.
- Extensive experience in and understanding of reaction mechanisms.
- Background in printing and ink formulation.
- Experience in scale up for high volume manufacturing.
- Expert in project management and product development with excellent written and oral communication skills with both team members and non-technical business/research partners.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma and DOE.
- Excellent chemical hygiene, experience working with hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of routine testing procedures and common laboratory practices.
- Ability to manage a broad range of projects.
- Self-motivated, HIGHLY organized, and flexible.
- Full English fluency required.
Company location: Mountain View, CA
Compensation: commensurate with experience, but the offer package includes health and dental insurance, stock options, and 401K.
Applicants must have U.S. employment authorization. The company will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work visas.