Director - Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine is seeking a Board Director - Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology to join our Division on Earth & Life Studies in Washington D.C.
The Director is responsible for developing and managing a portfolio of activities related to chemistry and chemical engineering. The mission of the Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology (BCST) is to ensure that our nation receives independent, objective advice on matters related to chemistry and chemical engineering. BCST carries out its mission through studies and convening activities that bring together experts from academic institutions, industry, national laboratories, and other organizations to examine specific issues. The board is active in four main subject areas:
- Chemical & Energy Industries
- National & Homeland Security
- Education & Workforce
- Basic Research
The Director reports to the Executive Director of the Division on Earth and Life Studies and is part of the division’s executive leadership team.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Ph.D. in a related field or equivalent knowledge
- 10 years of related professional experience, 5 of which were in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated impact on the advancement of science or policy and effective dissemination of these activities.
- Expertise and/or experience in chemistry, chemical engineering, and/or related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a strategic management team
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with sponsors and other external stakeholders, and to negotiate external funding.
- Experience working in complex environments with science or engineering missions with a high degree of organizational effectiveness.
- Excellent written, verbal, public speaking, interpersonal, and organizational skills with a proven ability to effectively interact with employees at all levels.
About DELS & BCST
The Division on Earth and Life Studies (DELS) consists of twelve units that facilitate communication among the research community, policy makers, industry, interest groups, and the public. DELS is responsible for a vast array of topics, ranging from the molecular level to the global level. The common thread linking the units is the broad topic of science and the environment, but the division also examines issues outside that area.
The Board on Chemical Sciences and Technology (BCST), established in its present form in 1983, has conducted a diverse program of studies and related activities to produce authoritative, independent recommendations about the science and technology aspects of public policy questions in chemistry, biochemistry, and chemical engineering.