Postdoc - Postdoctoral Fellow Application of Novel Synthetic Methodologies for Fragment Based Drug D
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for true investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences and BioPharma. The enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum
Technical expert that will investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods/ techniques to address critical project needs. Continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes. Read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments. Demonstrate mastery of broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
To be successful, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
Through our Postdoc program, we are hiring postdocs from key academic institutions for preferred areas of science in the U.S., while providing a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. The program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience, with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum
The preparation of novel fragments for the purpose of Fragment-Based Drug Discovery (FBDD) has become increasingly important at AbbVie and in the pharmaceutical industry at large. Fragment based drug discovery is a front line screening and optimization paradigm that is employed at AbbVie to generate high quality lead chemical matter. Among the many challenges associated with fragment design is the ability to adequately follow up with chemistry that enables rapid optimization of a given fragment hit. New synthetic methodologies discovered at AbbVie in the context of projects and through academic collaborations provide particularly compelling opportunities to enhance our fragment collection via close mentorship from the FBDD group.
This postdoctoral appointment will combine elements of both modern organic synthesis methodology coupled with modern state of the art property based fragment (and drug) design. Overall, the program will offer a broad range of research experiences for the postdoctoral scientist and opportunities to publish in high impact journals. The expansion of this chemistry will be under the supervision and mentorship of FCG and FBDD scientists. The compounds prepared will serve as novel fragments, enhancing AbbVie’s compound collection. Finally, the postdoctoral researcher will benefit from carrying out cutting-edge organic synthesis research in a collaborative, innovation-rich environment.
1. New directions in organic synthesis: Novel methods discovered in the context of AbbVie projects will be explored and applied to FBDD. For example: 1) copper-catalyzed asymmetric [3+2] cycloaddition to prepare chiral pyrrolidines and 2) one-pot SnAr/asymmetric oxidation for chiral tertiary alcohol synthesis. Publication of reaction scope will be expected.
2. Application of C-H functionalization methodology: Numerous C-H functionalization academic collaborations have uncovered a spectrum of new reactions that will be explored in greater depth. For example, NSF Center for Selective C-H Functionalization (CCHF) collaboration with Huw Davies’ group at Emory University has revealed new reactivity of small saturated heterocycles and carbocycles. Preparation of novel designed fragments will be followed by methodology publication.
* Successful completion and defense of a PhD. Minimum graduate school GPA 3.0; 3.5 preferred. Graduate of accredited and nationally ranked university.
* Record of publication in a prestigious journal(s).
* Excellent problem-solving skills including critical and analytical thinking.
* Excellent communication, leadership, and project management skills. Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to independently design and execute experiments, interpret data, and identify appropriate follow-up strategies.
* Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity. Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
* Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled