Principal Scientist, Drug Discovery Project Leader - Immunology
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Principal Scientist, Project Leader, Immunology, in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Principal Scientist, Project Leader working on the Immunology team, you will be empowered to design and execute comprehensive experimental plans that inform and enable project progression.
- The Principal Scientist, Project leader, Immunology position is seeking a candidate with strong immunology background and hands on experience in designing and executing comprehensive experimental plans that inform and enable project progression. This individual will collaborate closely with other teams in the Immunology and Gastroenterology Units, external partners to advance therapeutic programs and strategies through deep understanding in immunology. This incumbent will lead projects on defined timelines and go/no-go decision points. S/he must have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively across functional units.
- Highly motivated and innovative immunologist with drug development experience who will provide scientific leadership within the immunology team and collaborate with other functional teams for the discovery of novel therapeutics
- Hands on preclinical research experience in developing peptides, biologics or small molecule therapeutics
- Design and execute comprehensive experimental plans that inform and enable project progression. Works independently to generate and interpret data, troubleshoots, and suggests next steps
- Work independently and demonstrate the ability to contribute to projects outside their own expertise
- Keeps up with the up-to-date scientific advancement (e.g. competitive landscape, new technologies, emerging opportunities). Stay abreast of the immunology literature and act as an expert resource within the immunology and research team
- Coach, mentor, and manage people for performance and scientific growth. May manage a nimble team of Immunology researchers.
- Track record of leading research programs that required interfacing with multiple functional teams to advance drug candidates from concept to IND.
- Advances and ensures the success of innovative programs and external partnerships for immunology, in close collaboration with the Gastroenterology DDU
- Provides leadership of Gastroenterology programs
- Establishes rapport & collaborates with scientific leaders, KOLs, academic partners, CROs and biotech companies and is seen as an international subject matter expert in Immunology research and therapeutics
- Manages teams in a matrix environment
- Leverages external resources (vendors/CROs) and in building and supporting partnerships with academic institutions and/or companies
- May allocate ~20% of the time to helping to identify, advance, and ensure the success of innovative external partnerships for GI-Immunology, in close collaboration with CEI and the GI DDU
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Immunology or biology with minimum 8 years of experience, OR MS/MA in Immunology or Biology with 18+ years of relevant experience OR BS/BA with 20+ years of relevant experience
- Successful postdoctoral training in world-renowned laboratory, and have strong publications in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience including leadership of projects preferably in Immunology or Gastroenterology area experience
- Experience managing project in collaboration with academia and industry
- Well-versed in field of Gastroenterology or Immunology, with good knowledge of competitive environment
- Strong team player with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience leading projects internal or with external collaborations
- Experience in IP filings, authoring study reports supporting IND filings
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e., computers, phones, etc.)
- Carrying, handling, and reaching for objects up to 25lbs
- Able to work in a lab environment
- Willingness to travel to various meetings including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 5% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine